Thread: New to me S3 basket case

New to me S3 basket case

I traded a blast for an S3T that “ran but wouldn’t idle. I bought it last year and only put 1000mi on it “ he said well he had the bike three years and hadn’t showered in at least three weeks. The bike was supposed to run but no battery a mrGasket glass fuel filter and three hours late. I unloaded his truck and sent him on his way.
    Now what to do with most of a bike I’m not familiar with.
    Anyone have a manual they would part with and an air filter assembly, turn signals, tail lights and handle bars as the ones on it are too narrow for the clamps.
    To sweeten the deal he threw in a 2003 XB12 Firebolt well some of a Firebolt rear wheel ,swing arm ,shock, engine (less top end) and frame but after unloading let me know he couldn’t find the title. Said he would mail it. Right. So a clean xb frame no dents no scratches and still no good.
    Well I will try to check fluids and compression then this thing has wires dangling and a ground made of twisted tie wire so until I get a wiring diagram I don’t even want to try to fire it up.
    What’s the pitfalls of this particular bike (S3T) I should be on the lookout for?
    Last edited by cvc; 05-30-2021 at 03:04 PM.

34:19 must be clearing out his garage

Not much to know, pretty dang basic engine, wiring, and assembly. If you're familiar with a toolbox it should be a fun project, they can look really sweet when done all stock with the bags. Take it apart as far as you want, inventory what you got, and put it back together using the service manual.

From the “not showered in 3 weeks” comment, I’m guessing you bought it from Cooter?

I thought you said you put 1000 miles on it?

The real humdinger is the rear shock, but i think someone is selling one on offerup for cheap in wa. Racetech will rebuild the stock ones, but I just bought a new one from Twin.

Bread boxes are getting hard to find also, but I’m sure if you looked hard enough you could find most of the components online new. Parts catalogs are available on HD’s site, and 2001-2002 service books are on Buellmods. Or hit up Screamer on badweb if you need paper.

Turn signals are available new at St Paul for $15/ea. Even the cheap ebay/Amazon crap ones will cost as much or more.

The stock rear ground is just a twisted up uninsulated strap that connects the frame to the swingarm (and to the engine).

The motor is a Sportster motor. Not like the XB is “based on a Sportster motor”. Depending on the year it may have thunderstorm heads, which are nice. It is more powerful than a stock Sportster of the same year, but everything that was cutting edge back then, is now old hat today.

Also check your rear mounts to make sure they are OK and not the HD ones without the ears. St. Paul sells the correct ones. And check to make sure the front mounting bracket is ok and someone didn’t cut the “leg” off if you really intend to reinstall the breadbox. Most people cut the leg off when the junked the breadbox.

Lastly check the exhaust for cracks and weirdness. Get a “Y” front mount if it doesn’t already have one.

Screamer and bennybuell on badweb seem to have the most of the NOS parts available. I may have a set of S3 handlebars, but I might have thrown them at Cooter when I chased him off my lawn. They should be available new at St Paul also for about the $40.

I think someone on FB is parting out a S3 also.

And ditch the mr gasket glass fuel filter. One bad bump can cause the glass to hit a metal part of the frame or motor and break.

Make sure you change our the intake seals and brag to everyone on here on how easy the job was. Lol
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 05-30-2021 at 04:43 PM.

Thanks I’ll look up Screamer I like paper manuals that’s what I was trained on. As for the bread box 📦 googled S3 and I think i have a carbon fiber and chrome one left over from a customer’s Sporty.
    The guy I got the bike from said he did 1k mi on it.
    I think he may have gotten the better deal the Blast had flat black rattle can and bondo finishes 30,000k on it and could use a new clutch cable (not nessissary yet but getting stiff) turn signals and mirrors from MotoCycle for $20 and they looked like the same “artist” painted the plastics. But on the up side for him new tires bearings rebuilt front M/C brake pads both ends shift pawl adjustment spark plug new air filter, used vance and hines exhaust flushed brakes and changed oil and fuel filter. I rebuilt the forks and made 3/4in longer spacers and a 1/4 in shim on the shock spring.
    So i hope I get this one done soon as i have never ridden any tubers and hope to try it out in the sunshine. In Vancouver that means the 2nd two weeks of July and the month of August unless we have a drought.

The stock rear ground is just a twisted up uninsulated strap that connects the frame to the swingarm

Im talking straight up farmers tin coated tie wire from engine to frame and through one of the ecm bolt holes.

Buell mods had the manual now that I have a smartphone I downloaded it. Now off to play with toys.

The breadbox never came on a Sportster. I’m sure someone could have figured out how to do it, but why? Most people took them off.

Wow I’m late to reply I meant i had a air filter off a sportster i could reu until I got a correct one