Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lean fouling the front plug xb12r?

It’s a 2008. I’ve done tps resets successfully a few times with no change in the low idle problems.

Ya, it's the earlier bikes that people mess up the procedure and get idle issues. The 08-up bikes are almost too simple to screw up.

I pulled my maps to see if you guys could spot anything that seems out of order with it. It seems that the idle area is richer than other race maps, and there are two rows of empty cells. This is an EBR ecm. I'm still striking out with tracing down the cause of my lean condition. I'm testing the fuell system tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes.
    Screenshot (11).jpg

Calm down Rainman:
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickXB View Post
    I’ve cleaned, troubleshot every sensor on the throttle body,
    I have eeprom and maps from the bike
    I think I’ve got the correct maps since it’s the EBR ECM
    I was able to find a complete throttle body assembly with new injectors, new sensors, and seals
    I pulled my maps
    Seriously.
    I'm still striking out with tracing down the cause of my lean condition.
    Because you insist on swinging at the wrong pitches.

"If the answer to your question is [inconclusive], you must enlarge the context of the question"
    R Pirsig.

He is saying to stop the hyper focus on the friggin' fuel map. It won't tell you anything. It won't tell us anything. Heck don't even focus on the one ashy spark plug. Step BACK, and look at the problem from a larger field of view.

Giving any tiny bit of pertinent info to the suckers on the internet trying to help you will also speed this process along. I can't tell you the next step because I have NO idea where you are, bouncing back and forth between the TB and the ECM like that.
    Last edited by Cooter; 06-07-2021 at 01:36 AM.

Well, I started with the TB and tps. I haven’t found any issues there. All the sensors are functioning as they should. There are no intake leaks. I’m testing the fuel system tomorrow, while I’m waiting for the gauge to do so, I figured it would be prudent to make sure the previous owner of the bike hasn’t changed the fuel maps in some way. With no CEL codes, sensor issues, or electrical problems, I’m left with a fueling problem. I’m guessing it’s either the ECM/map, or it’s the fuel system. I’m not bouncing back and forth, I’m testing one thing at a time like you suggested. I put the AFV back to 100 after the o2 sensor swap, there was no noticeable change. It still stalls when it’s warm. The EGO still drifts down into the 70s unless I set the parameters to force it above 90s.
    Last edited by patrickXB; 06-07-2021 at 02:07 AM.

I'm not saying you're going back and forth. Im saying you keep "testing" the same two things over and over. Yes I'm sure its frustrating but you'll get the same results every time you check the same thing (def: Insanity)
    All the sensors are functioning as they should.
    Well, post the results of those tests! Because we're all in the dark here... and something is certainly NOT "functioning as it should".

A weak fuel system wouldn't cause the EGO (or AFV) to drop, It would raise them to compensate for lack of fuel. So when you get the gauge you bought and it reads 49psi while in your garage... cool. Now you have a gauge to put in your toolbox. You'd need to test it under load anyway when the EGO correction would apply and again... with a weak fuel system... the ECM would try to ADD fuel (100+), not subtract it.
    A fuel map change also couldn't do that. Altered OL Targets? maybe? Altered O2 sensor voltage definitions? maybe? Thats up to you to dive down that wormhole. I can sell you a '09 ECM to shotgun a lucky guess, but no returns.

IMO (and le$$), use your ECMSpy skills to datalog and see what parameters are changing when the EGO drops. Something is telling the ECM to pull fuel at that moment. What?

Sounds good, I’m assuming I should set the afv and ego parameters back to normal before data logging?

Ok, I logged a 25 mile ride today. I was able to get the file into megalog viewer so I can see it. Im learning as I go with this and needless to say I don't know that I'm looking at, or looking for with this data.
    After some reading it makes sense what you’re saying about the ecm leaning everything out. I read that the EGO will compensate for the individual cells that are being used, and the AFV compensates the entire map, is this accurate? At any rate it seems that I’m leaned out nearly everywhere except near WOT, as that’s the only time that the EGO increases into the 90s.

How should I proceed? Here are some screen shots from the ride.

Screenshot (20).jpgScreenshot (21).jpgScreenshot (22).jpg
    Last edited by patrickXB; 06-08-2021 at 04:27 AM.

An update, I rotated the engine down to take care of a rocker box leak and to throw some new intake seals in. The old intake seals looked ok, but since I’m in there, i figured I’d replace them with a newer James gasket set. I pulled the TB and it is filthy inside and out.

While I was looking around I found a green wire that is worn through in the wiring harness near the front. it looks like it goes to one of the fuel injectors. Hopefully this is my culprit. I’ll update in a few days once I get it all back together.

An update, I rotated the engine down to take care of a rocker box leak and to throw some new intake seals in. The old intake seals looked ok, but since I’m in there, i figured I’d replace them with a newer James gasket set. I pulled the TB and it is filthy inside and out.

While I was looking around I found a green wire that is worn through in the wiring harness near the front. it looks like it goes to one of the fuel injectors. Hopefully this is my culprit. I’ll update in a few days once I get it all back together.
    While I was looking around I found a green wire that is worn through in the wiring harness near the front. it looks like it goes to one of the fuel injectors. Hopefully this is my culprit.

Known EFI/rideability problem that existed with 2005-2007 XB models but never addressed via TSB or advisement for enhanced dealer check during warranty/service procedures. GREEN F&R in fact injector signal wire. Often chafes thru from continuous contact with top portion of engine components. Address and repair as required.

ALSO, while performing this work and based on assumption you are NOT fully advised on ownership history and what sort of buffoons have had access to this thing.....CHECK both fuel injectors. RED barrel is front injector.....GRAY barrel is rear injector. Different spray patterns. If they've been swapped or incorrectly installed, will generate your precise problem.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast