Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: Fuel Sensor Orientation

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    530
    Ok John you’re up. At what point does the low fuel level light supposed to come on.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    530
    Once we find out at what point it’s supposed to come on I would drain the tank completely. Then add gas a few oz at a time until the light goes off. Add up how much gas you put in and compare that to what John says.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    530
    It’s a little bit of work, but it’s still easier than pulling the pump again.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by mike lowary View Post
    It’s a little bit of work, but it’s still easier than pulling the pump again.
    Yeah very true. If it never activates, lazy me is just gonna wait til it needs a new fuel filter.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Barrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    AmishLand, PA
    Posts
    280
    i don't know where that outfit sources their fuel level sensors nor can i vouch for the quality of same...BUT the factory sensors that i still keep in stock are thermistors. yours would be as well. it is supplied 12V thru the main pump feed and the housing is grounded. it doesn't know its orientation, nor does it care. the 12V supply adds a bit of warmth to the "innards" and the resistance is read via the ECM. the fuel acts as a heat-sink and keeps the sensor at a constant temperature. as the fuel level decreases, the sensor warms up changing the ohms value that the ECM is seeing...and when a pre-determined ohms value is seen by the ECM....your low fuel level light activates and trip-1 commences its mileage count. i'd leave it be.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    i don't know where that outfit sources their fuel level sensors nor can i vouch for the quality of same...BUT the factory sensors that i still keep in stock are thermistors. yours would be as well. it is supplied 12V thru the main pump feed and the housing is grounded. it doesn't know its orientation, nor does it care. the 12V supply adds a bit of warmth to the "innards" and the resistance is read via the ECM. the fuel acts as a heat-sink and keeps the sensor at a constant temperature. as the fuel level decreases, the sensor warms up changing the ohms value that the ECM is seeing...and when a pre-determined ohms value is seen by the ECM....your low fuel level light activates and trip-1 commences its mileage count. i'd leave it be.
    WORD! Thanks man! I'll keep an eye on it and circle back like Psaki.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Barrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    AmishLand, PA
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by mike lowary View Post
    Ok John you’re up. At what point does the low fuel level light supposed to come on.
    Hey there Mike: a fuel level sensor in good condition activates with about 3 US quarts of fuel left in the frame/tank.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    530
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Hey there Mike: a fuel level sensor in good condition activates with about 3 US quarts of fuel left in the frame/tank.
    Thanks John.

  9. #19
    Senior Member BuellyBagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nebraska City, NE
    Posts
    3,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    i don't know where that outfit sources their fuel level sensors nor can i vouch for the quality of same...BUT the factory sensors that i still keep in stock are thermistors. yours would be as well. it is supplied 12V thru the main pump feed and the housing is grounded. it doesn't know its orientation, nor does it care. the 12V supply adds a bit of warmth to the "innards" and the resistance is read via the ECM. the fuel acts as a heat-sink and keeps the sensor at a constant temperature. as the fuel level decreases, the sensor warms up changing the ohms value that the ECM is seeing...and when a pre-determined ohms value is seen by the ECM....your low fuel level light activates and trip-1 commences its mileage count. i'd leave it be.
    Wow, that is brilliantly simple!

    John can u fix my faulty fuel gauge on my Harley?(site unseen over the interweb of course)

  10. #20
    Senior Member Barrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    AmishLand, PA
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    Wow, that is brilliantly simple!

    John can u fix my faulty fuel gauge on my Harley?(site unseen over the interweb of course)

    Cody: Isn't yours a big-twin, as i recall? It would have been built at the York Production plant across the river from me. See if you can make arrangements to have it returned to York....tape a note to the tank telling my niece to notify me once it arrives...and i'll run over and take a look/see and get you fixed up. On-the-house, of course. Need her name?



Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •