Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Sensor Orientation

Ok John you’re up. At what point does the low fuel level light supposed to come on.

Once we find out at what point it’s supposed to come on I would drain the tank completely. Then add gas a few oz at a time until the light goes off. Add up how much gas you put in and compare that to what John says.

It’s a little bit of work, but it’s still easier than pulling the pump again.

Quote Originally Posted by mike lowary View Post
    It’s a little bit of work, but it’s still easier than pulling the pump again.
    Yeah very true. If it never activates, lazy me is just gonna wait til it needs a new fuel filter.

i don't know where that outfit sources their fuel level sensors nor can i vouch for the quality of same...BUT the factory sensors that i still keep in stock are thermistors. yours would be as well. it is supplied 12V thru the main pump feed and the housing is grounded. it doesn't know its orientation, nor does it care. the 12V supply adds a bit of warmth to the "innards" and the resistance is read via the ECM. the fuel acts as a heat-sink and keeps the sensor at a constant temperature. as the fuel level decreases, the sensor warms up changing the ohms value that the ECM is seeing...and when a pre-determined ohms value is seen by the ECM....your low fuel level light activates and trip-1 commences its mileage count. i'd leave it be.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    i don't know where that outfit sources their fuel level sensors nor can i vouch for the quality of same...BUT the factory sensors that i still keep in stock are thermistors. yours would be as well. it is supplied 12V thru the main pump feed and the housing is grounded. it doesn't know its orientation, nor does it care. the 12V supply adds a bit of warmth to the "innards" and the resistance is read via the ECM. the fuel acts as a heat-sink and keeps the sensor at a constant temperature. as the fuel level decreases, the sensor warms up changing the ohms value that the ECM is seeing...and when a pre-determined ohms value is seen by the ECM....your low fuel level light activates and trip-1 commences its mileage count. i'd leave it be.
    WORD! Thanks man! I'll keep an eye on it and circle back like Psaki.

Quote Originally Posted by mike lowary View Post
    Ok John you’re up. At what point does the low fuel level light supposed to come on.
    Hey there Mike: a fuel level sensor in good condition activates with about 3 US quarts of fuel left in the frame/tank.

Hey there Mike: a fuel level sensor in good condition activates with about 3 US quarts of fuel left in the frame/tank.
    Thanks John.

Wow, that is brilliantly simple!

John can u fix my faulty fuel gauge on my Harley?(site unseen over the interweb of course)

Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    Wow, that is brilliantly simple!

John can u fix my faulty fuel gauge on my Harley?(site unseen over the interweb of course)

Cody: Isn't yours a big-twin, as i recall? It would have been built at the York Production plant across the river from me. See if you can make arrangements to have it returned to York....tape a note to the tank telling my niece to notify me once it arrives...and i'll run over and take a look/see and get you fixed up. On-the-house, of course. Need her name?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast