Thread: Bought an 09 xb12r then it died!

Threaded View

Bought an 09 xb12r then it died!

All,

I just bought an xb12r that has been sitting for about a year. I rode it around before I brought it home and it was struggling to idle but ran.

Once home, I sent the ECM to IDS for a stock exhaust map. Changed oil & primary. Cleaned & oiled K&N. Replaced plugs. Did (not) drain fuel. Reset TPS.

Once everything was back together, it started up and idled strong. Took it on a 1 mile ride for inspection sticker. Next ride was a week later: cruised ~10 miles 55mph constant, then put some oomph on the throttle from a light. Did it once more, more throttle, front wheel got light. Went again to go to WOT and I got a "buuhhhhhh" struggle sound. Left off the gas, was cruising OK. Tried WOT, got "buuuhhh". Let off throttle, pulled clutch in and the engine died. Lights, etc still good but engine was off.

Hasn't started since. I drained the old fuel (huge mess, full tank), put in 1 gal of fresh gas. Disconnected the fuel line at the throttle body and turned key to prime pump. Spits out a bunch of fuel. I hooked up ECMSpy and it's showing a AFV value of 90.2 and error 15 air temp sensor too high/ground (but no CEL.. maybe old?). I reset the AFV to 100 and tried to crank it. It alllllllmost started, but didn't. A few attempts at the starter and I turned the key off. Key back on and as soon as the pump primed I got a "pooft!" of smoke up the velocity stack, almost like a backfire but the bike hasn't started and I hadn't touched the starter yet.

I don't know if I'm chasing a lack of spark issues, lack of fuel issue, or something completely unrelated to either. The drive profile was textbook AFV learning (which it did since it was not at 100. I'm at sea level and it was ~75F) and at the same time is when the bike died. I wanted to believe a fuel starvation issue, but with the AFV at only 90 that's opposite of what I would expect of the pump was weak. I'd guess it was erring toward 110 to get extra gas.

Would love some suggestions. I don't know if the local shop would take it, but even if they did I suspect I'd pay far too much to fix a $3,000 bike. Thank you!

ECMSpy readout below. Fuel PSI reads 0, not sure if that means anything or not. The pump had just primed.
    eeprom.jpg
    Last edited by xb12r_rider; 06-06-2021 at 10:25 PM.