Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Won’t start, won’t rev after fuel sprayed in to prime.

Won’t start, won’t rev after fuel sprayed in to prime.

Bike sat a couple years after I stopped commuting on it. Ran fine up to about 90mph. Was always a little hard to start cold, especially the longer I didn’t ride it. Fuel started to gel. Cleaned the carb and put in fresh treated ethanol-free fuel. Didn’t help. Had to spray fuel in the carb. Hard to keep running, at best would eventually die at idle and wouldn’t rev enough to ride away. Found the jets to be 45/165. Considering the Buell Pro Series intake and V&H exhaust, this should be lean, so I got 48/175 jets, sanded some washers down to 0.050” to shim the needle up, and adjusted the screw to 3 turns out (from about 1.5). Added a large Wix filter to the fuel line. This essentially changed nothing. Still have to spray a lot of fuel to start and it won’t hardly rev. Fuel bowl is filling fine..
    IDEAS?
    Elevation 3600-3700 feet.

Hows the auto choke?

Did you check the carb coupler? and Cooter’s on it check your enrichener. Also look at your tank vent pull the fuel line and drain into a jar see how much fuel you get in x number of seconds then do it again with your gas cap off i have a blast tank with some wierd gunk in the petcock and the filter fills with fuel but slowly and the bike is hard starting and doesn’t want to rev over 1/2 throttle so when i get time I’ll pull the pet cock and tank clean and be off and running again.
    Last edited by cvc; 06-16-2021 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Hows the auto choke?
    Who knows? I’ve been told previously that they never go out, don’t worry about it. Do I need to pull it and observe when I turn the ignition on? Is there a resistance spec? OK to put 12V to it?
    I’ve tried manually choking the intake pipe with the filter off and it hasn’t helped.

Das Boot is fine.
    It doesn’t help if I try to start it with the gas cap off. Fuel flow seems relatively unrestricted when I pull the line off at the carb.

Quote Originally Posted by REVOLUTIONary_2B View Post
    Who knows? I’ve been told previously that they never go out, don’t worry about it. Do I need to pull it and observe when I turn the ignition on? Is there a resistance spec? OK to put 12V to it?
    I’ve tried manually choking the intake pipe with the filter off and it hasn’t helped.

Das Boot is fine.
    It doesn’t help if I try to start it with the gas cap off. Fuel flow seems relatively unrestricted when I pull the line off at the carb.
    They can break, the wires can break, they can be set improperly. Open it up and test it.

Quote Originally Posted by jetlee View Post
    They can break, the wires can break, they can be set improperly. Open it up and test it.
    I can’t find how to test it anywhere...

Took enricher apart. Green crud inside. Cleaned. Gets hot when put to 12v. Now how do I adjust it? The threads on the body probably a critical adjustment with as little as this is supposed to move.

Adjusted enricher on the rich side. Still have to spray fuel to start. Once running, idle and very low throttle are fine. Will not accelerate bike in this state. Leans out most of the time, but today, on occasion, I had full fueling, could hit the rev limiter, and ride normally down the street. Then it started acting up and I had to limp it back. Totally confused.

Quote Originally Posted by REVOLUTIONary_2B View Post
    Adjusted enricher on the rich side. Still have to spray fuel to start. Once running, idle and very low throttle are fine. Will not accelerate bike in this state. Leans out most of the time, but today, on occasion, I had full fueling, could hit the rev limiter, and ride normally down the street. Then it started acting up and I had to limp it back. Totally confused.
    Is the needle lifting / diaphragm working? Is the float level correct? The Blast does not use an accelerator pump, so all circuits need to be at 100%. If it is running lean and you have to spray fuel to get it to start, you likely have blockages in the carburetor. You need to pull it apart, and verify ALL passages are clean and unobstructed.

Quote Originally Posted by casual_observer View Post
    Is the needle lifting / diaphragm working? Is the float level correct? The Blast does not use an accelerator pump, so all circuits need to be at 100%. If it is running lean and you have to spray fuel to get it to start, you likely have blockages in the carburetor. You need to pull it apart, and verify ALL passages are clean and unobstructed.
    That’s the thing...the next day, I went to start it, it fired right up normally. Ran perfectly up and down several residential streets in all throttle positions. Then, just as I was going to pull up the driveway and put it away, it started lean-coughing when I tried to accelerate, and I had to limp/push it up the driveway into the garage. It’s like a switch flips and lose fueling from the main jet. It still idles and low throttles (in neutral) fine, but won’t move the bike.
    I saw no way to adjust float level. My neighbor suggested maybe the float was getting stuck intermittently. Makes sense, just don’t understand how. Everything seemed to move freely when I had it apart.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast