Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Won’t start, won’t rev after fuel sprayed in to prime.

If the float was sticking it would either run out of gas completely, and not run at all, or gas would overflow the bowl and onto the ground from the bowl drain port.

Quote Originally Posted by casual_observer View Post
    Is the needle lifting / diaphragm working? Is the float level correct? The Blast does not use an accelerator pump, so all circuits need to be at 100%. If it is running lean and you have to spray fuel to get it to start, you likely have blockages in the carburetor. You need to pull it apart, and verify ALL passages are clean and unobstructed.
    Do this ^^^^. Yes, again.

Do it right and the bike will run fine. If you can't do it right:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/14406854365...IAAOSwOq9gv2CK

Before you re-install any carb, remove the petcock and clean the screen. IMO add a small inline filter as well.

Look what I found...

I felt I cleaned this carb well about a month ago. I used Berryman’s carb dip, carb spray, compressed air, and wire (for the tiny port near the jets). I also drained the tank and put in fresh ethanol free 91 octane fuel. I don’t know what this crystalline stuff is, especially developing in such a short time. The main jet had a big chunk stuck in it, so that explains how it was running. Anybody have a good idea what happened here and how I can prevent it happening again?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Additional photo

Another look
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by REVOLUTIONary_2B View Post
    Anybody have a good idea what happened here and how I can prevent it happening again?
    If you truly did thoroughly clean out the carb, you likely have garbage in your fuel tank/fuel. I would recommend putting a clear inline filter between tank and carb, after throughly cleaning the tank and carb (again).

I had an old car that would do something like this no matter how clean I could get the gas tank. Long story short, any time the fuel level got below a certain point, the fuel filter would quickly clog (i cut them open to verify) and the car would run like crap. Luckily the filter would catch the garbage before it hit the carb (Weber 32/36).

I have a large, clear WIX fuel filter and I can see nothing in it so far.

That disgusting gel is corrosion from leaving Ethanol gas in your carb for a long time. If it's going to sit awhile, drain the float bowl. That's what that little flathead screw on the bottom is for.
    Guess what?
    It's time to take apart and clean the carb. No way you say? It MUST be something else...

Main jet, pilot jet, and emulsion tube are in that pic and all clogged badly. Welding tip cleaners or a jewelers drill set are fantastic for that job.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    That disgusting gel is corrosion from leaving Ethanol gas in your carb for a long time.
    A long time? Wasnt this carb recently cleaned out? The fuel is specifically ethanol free.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    A long time? Wasnt this carb recently cleaned out? The fuel is specifically ethanol free.
    That’s right.

It was also supposedly

Quote Originally Posted by REVOLUTIONary_2B View Post
    Cleaned.
    Yet there are pics to prove its dirty. Like everyone in this thread has said. Repeatedly.

It's dirty. Still.

Clean it.
    and your tank
    and the pet-cock
    and the fuel lines

If you do that correctly, your little Buell will run like a champ and we can all get back to bickering about oil and tires.

I've had California's E10 fuel sit in my carbs for years and not look like that. I don't think ethanol is to blame.

Something is causing a chemical reaction for sure, though. Clean everything out and rinse it all out with gasoline to be sure there's no sediment or leftover chemicals to react.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast