Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! Ignition/Spark issues!?!?!

HELP!!! Ignition/Spark issues!?!?!

Hey guys, I'm hoping you wonderful buellers can help me out here. 2007 Xb12S I had noticed I had a very very slight surging while riding at constant speed. Idle was also about 900 rpms Adjusted idle while the bike was cold seemed good (1050-1100RPMS) but a few days later on the next ride after reaching operating temp bike was idling right around 2k RPMs. Got home that day and backed the idle back down. Decided to swap spark plugs and see if that helped the surging. Broke a plug wire in the process of removal, replaced it with a crimp to size plug wire while waiting on a set to ship. Bike cranked afterwards no issue. While out riding today the bike was sputtering and misfiring unless I was heavy on the throttle. At WOT it would accelerate with no issues, back off of throttle to maintain the speed limit and back to missing, sputtering, jerking etc. Gonna double check plug wires and coil first off, but researching the issue has also pointed towards a failing CPS (2007 model would be Cam Position sensor right??) Looking for a CPS for a Buell I found the part no.: 32443-04- roughly $150-200. But I found somewhere that a sportster 1200 CPS would work as well part no: 32400-94 about $50-70. Does anyone KNOW for sure if these are the same parts or interchange?? And any other suggestions on things to check before throwing new parts at what may be a "I did it wrong" issue??? Thanks in advance for helping cure my stupidity

Did you Re-set the TPS after fiddling with the idle speed?
    https://www.buellmods.com

Cooter, I havent done a tps reset yet. Waiting ong my ecm cable to come in today so i can get that done. Could that be causing those issues?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, yes !

Ok thanks. Got my cable now figuring out what software to download and all. Any suggestions?

I'm having trouble getting ecmspy to connect I've got an IDS ecm tuned for the drummer exhaust. Is it locked by chance?? Please help guys Have a trip planned to deals gap next week and if i need more than just a TPS reset I've GOT to get it here lol. Anyone had issues doing a TPS reset with an IDS ecm???

NO... Step away from the cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Did you Re-set the TPS after fiddling with the idle speed?
    https://www.buellmods.com
    You have already caused yourself issues. Do NOT go any further until you fix what you've caused.

Perform the proper TPS re-set procedure according to the manual I gave you, FIRST.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    NO... Step away from the cable.

You have already caused yourself issues. Do NOT go any further until you fix what you've caused.

Perform the proper TPS re-set procedure according to the manual I gave you, FIRST.
    Cooter, i reset the tps once i got ecmspy to connect. Thats the reason i needed a cable i couldnt find a way to reset tps without it. Still runs rough and misfires when tryinf to maintain speed.

Thats good information to post on your thread to help us diagnose your bike for you. Thanks for posting it, so we know now.

But re-setting the TPS is much more than pushing the button. Did you follow the correct procedure? I keep asking because what you are describing perfectly matches a botched procedure.

Anything else you'd like to add to help us... help you? Your answers can only be as good as the questions you ask.

Whats the AFV? EGO CORR? Re-programming the ECM without FIXING the bike first can only hide issues and cause more problems.
    Last edited by Cooter; 06-18-2021 at 03:31 AM.

Hey cooter not trying to reprogram any was just using rhe cable for the tps reset. Yeah followed the procedure to reset the tps. Backed it down till the number stopped decreasing clicked reset tps the turned it back up 5.2. Idles fine now until MIL comes on and it tries to die. Did get an error code in ecmspy saying "tps too low/short to ground"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast