Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP!!! Ignition/Spark issues!?!?!

All the TPS resets in the world won't solve what's going on here. Seven posts and you failed to even mention the numerical value for the fault code. TPS values too high...too low...short to ground is always #11. Simply put, it's one or more values that the ECM is seeing that it doesn't like. EVERY single one of your symptoms is directly related to historical and active fault code # 11. And the cause is one or more of the following. Check all AFTER actually confirming that your TPS is mounted securely and functioning properly via simple spy connection/twist grip activation to confirm.

1-Failed wiring harness connector at the TPS assembly. Known issue on XB's built between 3-2006 and 6-2007 production dates.
    2-Cracked ECM either backside of unit or at wiring harness connectors.
    3-Failing ECM.
    4-ECM pin #2....connector #11 exceeds 1-mega OHM meaning broken connector/broken wire.
    5-shorted out purple/yellow TPS feed wire....shorting to ground source.
    6-VSS sensor harness chafed from rubbing against metal component and/or broken wire connection. RARE but check yours.

Barret, i didn't mention the fault code earlier because it hadnt had one. connected and twist grip shows tps values changing and dropping back to where they started. Ecm looks good at a glance. Will double check it tonight amd check the rest of that list. Thanks for the info.

Post #1
    Quote Originally Posted by Isobuell View Post
    .... Idle was also about 900 rpms Adjusted idle while the bike was cold seemed good (1050-1100RPMS)....
    Re-set the TPS
    Post #3
    ....Cooter, I havent done a tps reset yet. ...
    Re-set the TPS
    Post TEN!?
    Yeah followed the procedure to reset the tps.
    Of course we know that, because the exact OPPOSITE of the info you are giving us. Oh, wait....

and of course...
    Did get an error code in ecmspy saying "tps too low/short to ground"
    Hmmm I wonder if theres a problem somewhere? How would you ever find it? Where would you ever look?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I keep asking because what you are describing perfectly matches a botched procedure.

Your answers can only be as good as the questions you ask.

Yes cooter i f'ed up and adjusted my idle without being able to do a tps reset. The first thing i did once i got rhe ECM cable and ecmspy to connect was follow the procedure in that manual u sent me a link for and perform a PROPER tps resest. At that time it didnt have the tps/short error code. Took it for a test ride, same issue. double checked that plug wires were seated completely on plugs and coil, went for a test ride. Same issue. Plugged in ecmspy and at that point it popped the " tps too low/short to ground " error. Havent done anything since that because i had work at 6am and will be here till 7pm tonight.

Don't go throwing a tps at this either... I made that rooky mistake quite a few years ago. Bike's issues were pretty similar. Mine ended up being a bad ecm. After I wasted my time replacing the tps I took the time to follow the troubleshooting guide in the service manual and found my problem. Find some to do the same and be patient.

This^^^ a TPS code does NOT mean "bad TPS"

more like:
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    All the TPS resets in the world won't solve what's going on here. Seven posts and you failed to even mention the numerical value for the fault code. TPS values too high...too low...short to ground is always #11. Simply put, it's one or more values that the ECM is seeing that it doesn't like. EVERY single one of your symptoms is directly related to historical and active fault code # 11. And the cause is one or more of the following. Check all AFTER actually confirming that your TPS is mounted securely and functioning properly via simple spy connection/twist grip activation to confirm.

1-Failed wiring harness connector at the TPS assembly. Known issue on XB's built between 3-2006 and 6-2007 production dates.
    2-Cracked ECM either backside of unit or at wiring harness connectors.
    3-Failing ECM.
    4-ECM pin #2....connector #11 exceeds 1-mega OHM meaning broken connector/broken wire.
    5-shorted out purple/yellow TPS feed wire....shorting to ground source.
    6-VSS sensor harness chafed from rubbing against metal component and/or broken wire connection. RARE but check yours.

So after work i plugged in ecmspy and no codes. Did the correct tps reset now that i was calmer and not stressed from trying to get everything to connect and work. Went out for a ride and smooth sailing. MIL never came on. Checked the body of the ecm and plugs for damage just in case and didnt see anything. Fingers crossed but everything seems to be running correct now.

That would be awesome. Hope that did the trick for ya.

You're welcome.

Thanks cooter. I'm still trying tofigure what i did different on the two resets. I used the same buellmods link u sent to me for both procedures and reviewing mentally i dod thr exact same things..... oh well. THANK YOU GUYS! !!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12