Thread: fuell pump issues, not priming

Hybrid View

fuell pump issues, not priming

Hi all
    Ive read through a lot of the posts on the forum, and it seems the fuel pump can be an issue. Mine was fine until it was in the back yard under a cover for 4 months. When i finally got it back into my garage, i had the old no priming problem. Ive checked i have a voltage at the plug, behind left hand side panel, but need a little more info on which cores i should have the voltage between. Also which cores can i direct power from 12v supply to check the pump. Im still looking for the pump fuse,
    Anyway thanks for any suggestions

Rich

Sounds like you should peruse this info:
    https://www.buellmods.com

Thanks Ill take a look

Sir: 12V at the plug doesn't tell the entire story. the pump circuit receives constant 12V and the trigger mechanism is the ECM completing the circuit via negative ground.

1-check your ECM ground. shown in SM ECM wiring schematic electrical chapter.
    2-fuel pump circuit fuse is 10A and is in fusebox. R models behind right side of fairing...all other models under seat.
    3-replace your KEY SWITCH/IGNITION relay. a failing relay will quite often cause the pump not to operate
    4-last step is to: KEY SWITCH ON....KILL SWITCH ON...BAS CONNECTION CONFIRMED...TRANS IN NEUTRAL...SIDESTAND DOWN....gently wrap on frame spar as close to pump housing as possible with large rubber mallet and see if it comes to life. If so, the motor was frozen from sitting.

Thanks for the great advice

Thanks for the advice. I will try all you have suggested.. I will report back on what i find

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Sir: 12V at the plug doesn't tell the entire story. the pump circuit receives constant 12V and the trigger mechanism is the ECM completing the circuit via negative ground.

1-check your ECM ground. shown in SM ECM wiring schematic electrical chapter.
    2-fuel pump circuit fuse is 10A and is in fusebox. R models behind right side of fairing...all other models under seat.
    3-replace your KEY SWITCH/IGNITION relay. a failing relay will quite often cause the pump not to operate
    4-last step is to: KEY SWITCH ON....KILL SWITCH ON...BAS CONNECTION CONFIRMED...TRANS IN NEUTRAL...SIDESTAND DOWN....gently wrap on frame spar as close to pump housing as possible with large rubber mallet and see if it comes to life. If so, the motor was frozen from sitting.