Thread: How to clean rear pully on back wheel? XB9SX

How to clean rear pully on back wheel? XB9SX

Not sure what is safe to use on this. Looks like calcium build up as I had to store outside for a while... Thinking CLR, but don't want to ruin the finish. Anyone have ideas?

Typical for these. At room temp and with rear wheel off the ground, spray on a quality "Cycle Wash" product....scrub with small bristle brush or toothbrush also works well....then rinse. If the factory finish needs refreshed, simply spray bomb with Chrysler 426 Hemi valve cover black wrinkle finish. Perfect match.
    Might also want to spend a minute and remove plastic front pulley cover and check front drive pulley for heavy surface rust. Again....very common as these bikes age.

Thanks for the recommendation. Popped the front cover off and yes, its caked in rust. Not sure I should try cleaning without taking it apart. WD-40 and a tooth brush?

Quote Originally Posted by JJsXB9Sx View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. Popped the front cover off and yes, its caked in rust. Not sure I should try cleaning without taking it apart. WD-40 and a tooth brush?

Sir: without the correct dedicated pulley tools i can assure you that you'll never be able to remove it without causing substantial damage to one or more components including the trans. Just let it be and remove as much surface rust on the front face as you can with small wire brush and sand paper, then paint with something like black rustoleum. Don't do anything to the toothed surface that engages and drives the belt. If the belt is dirty and squeaking, simply wash with hot soapy water and dish washing detergent, then spray with quick-drying silicone spray. Use moderation.

Thanks again. Definitely not a mechanic so not even thinking of taking it off. Forgive my rookie approach!