Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lower Shock for 08 XT

If the 1125 shocks are 13” eye to eye and the scg 13 1/4 I’d like to put them side by side and check them out. I have drawn the conclusion that SS and SCG were the same length but I don’t have an SCG shock to compare. I have XB12SS XB12XT XB12STT XB12R and XB12S and the last two are the same. So once I finally get all this sorted I may make a big shadow box and hang it on my garage wall displaying all of them with accurate dimensions and post a picture on line for all to see.

Cterry66 said “Dumb question, Will I loose all the gas in the remote if I quickly loosen the bolt to reangle the hose?
    The XT remote has a Schrader valve for the gas, the SS shock doesn't. How do you refill “

You will likely loose oil if the gas charge is any good
    I have a lightning shock I bought in pieces I’m thinking about taking apart to determine if I can rebuild it and what part I would need to source. I don’t have any extra time right away but as soon as I get it torn down I’ll start a thread.
    Last edited by cvc; 07-01-2021 at 01:32 PM.

I am not an expert, but do believe the flexible line is the oil supply to the shock, and the external reservoir cannister has the nitrogen gas that is separated from the oil by a sealed bladder and or piston. So I threw mine in the freezer for a few hours, barely tweaked the banjo bolt so I could move the hose where I wanted it and tightened the banjo bolt down pretty good. I did not see any oil and or hear any gas coming out of the shock.

You are right about how that shock works Tbone. I can do that trick too. Slightly loosen the resevoir bolt just enough to twist the banjo and re-tighten. Takes a special feel though, shocks are usually pressurized to 200Psi and the volume in the resevoir is minuscule, so any little leak and you need a recharge of Nitrogen. Don't use compressed air. Nitrogen only because it has no moisture in it and doesn't raise its pressure with heat like air does.

Good advice on the freezer method for adjusting the remote hose angle. I'm going to try that when I have a chance.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123