Thread: DTC 13 - Cannot read o2 sensor

DTC 13 - Cannot read o2 sensor

Been really enjoying the Min AFV at 100 the last couple of months. That coupled with Fan running normally, things have been great! MPG has been good as well. Today on the commute to work CEL light came on for a few minutes then went out, a couple of times. ECM Droid says DTC 13 Cannot read O2 Sensor. Brand New Bosch 12014 O2 sensor. Will run live data on the way home. What do I need to look at? Can I set live data to look at O2 sensor voltages? From other posts I think I need to look at AFV, CLT, IAT, ? Bike is running good! From other posts I need to check the grounds as well. I have a 40 mile commute home so should be able to see something?

Ya you can see O2 voltages on live data. But with the CEL being intermittent, I would think the connection is intermittent as well. Its a single wire close to the exhaust, the engine, etc... I would think its worth a look to pull off thew fan and see.

Just rode home and No CEL. Just had the Data Channel with the defaults and nothing looked unusual to my untrained eye. Batt volt between 13 and < 15 volts. AFV Stayed at 100.0%, CLT between 180 and 210 degrees. Bike ran Good. Will look for the O2 sensor wire, I tied the excess to the breather hose on top of the shock.

Reset the DTC codes and rode into work this morning with No CEL or errors. Noticed that the actual error message in ECM Droid was "O2 Sensor Inactive". Also checked the O2 Sensor wire and appears to be good and out of the fan. Does running the Min AFV at 100 a couple of months have anything to do with this? Is there any side effects from doing this? It took me 10 years to get a buelltooth, may take a while for me to change anything and it is running very well. Normally would have parked it for the summer and rode my other motorcycle. It is so much more rideable in the heat now.
    Last edited by Tbone; 07-01-2021 at 02:58 PM.

Since it is a single wire (non-heated) O2, that means the same thing. The ECM is not seeing any reading from the O2 for long enough to set a code.

No need to clear any codes, the ECM doesn't run any differently with or without them, you're just eliminating a clue. If the CEL comes back, try checking the wire between the O2 and the ECM for continuity, while moving it around, you might have a chafing issue in your paint shaker. I have a known good O2 I could send you to swap in? In case the new one has a fault. Rare but possible.

Running with your AFV minimum set at 100 does not affect the O2 sensor or ECM at all, besides that change.

Up to you whether you want to let it run ok, or attack the problem of why your AFV drops without the minimum block on. I'd be curious to know, but if it's running well... Hmmm.

Ok, so to get to the next level, do I need a bluetooth capable laptop to connect to the buelltooth? then run some software such as ECMSPY or some other software?

Uh yes, or a cable, but why?

Sorry, been riding around Port Townsend Wa. the last week on an FJR1300. It was absolutely amazing riding up Blue Mt., Hurricane Ridge, Whidbey Island, etc....
    Up to you whether you want to let it run ok, or attack the problem of why your AFV drops without the minimum block on. I'd be curious to know, but if it's running well... Hmmm.
    OK, how do you figure out the AFV drop with ecmdroid?