Thread: Tire date code decipher

Tire date code decipher

I have Pirelli Angel tires on my 07 XB9R. 180/55 ZR 17 in rear and 120/70 ZR 17 in front. I just it would be wise to check the date codes but I'm not sure how to decipher what I found. I'm guessing 13th day of the 41st week of 2012 but it could be 20th week of 2012 or 41st week of 2013 or ? I bought it this April & the guy said it has new tires. They look & feel fine. Any thoughts?
    rear tire.jpg

Not really sure what you’re asking? If the tires are 8 or 9 years old. They are old period. Now are you asking can you ride on them?...sure, I would

Thats not a pic of the date code. I'm sure the link Barrett so kindly gave you will describe that the date code is a 4 digit code in an oval. First 2 numbers are the week (01-52) and the last 2 are the year (21-20-19-18-17-16-15) less than 15 means almost 6-7 years old now, and I don't trust them.

I politely disagree with Squids opinion. Of course conditions like indoor storage for UV protection, not left flat, etc, matters a lot too, but being cheap on tires can cost you so much more

My man cooter.... with the legal response. I forgot I guess I should really help you out. I had to dust the cobwebs out of my head and actually put on my tech hat...
    I looked at your picture and that’s the model tire 0013412012 more then likely it’s a 2019 tire look on the opposite side (belt side) and you should see the date code.

Now back to old tires. You’re riding a xb9 with about 56 whp if the tires don’t have cracks I would run them unless you are doing the real hard riding 120plus and track days. I also see a dirtbike in the background harder tires will actually make you feel more comfortable cornering because you can break the rear tire loose on down shifts and up shift Into corners.

And not to start another tire discussion im not really a fan of the angels the 2 compound tire is not predictable unless real hot also I burn the side up way before the center. they are more adventure long trip tires

Not really 'legal' my brother, just my humble opinion. I also put 7+ year old helmets on the shelf. I don't mind risk, but I like to hedge my bets when I can