Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XB12 Muffler Valve Setting

XB12 Muffler Valve Setting

For those that have ECM Droid or other Tuning Apps, what is the prefered ECM setting for the Automatic muffler valve?
    My stock Map had the valve programmed to open on Wide Open Throttle. A Map I just got From Revision for the stock XB12 Muffler also had the same setting and they told me that map was actually an EBR Map. Other settings options are, turned completely off, or turned on the open and close throughout the Rev range.

I'm pretty sure that is what the setting should be.

This is a shake your head question...
    If you want your bike to run to epa specs leave it be.
    I used to turn them off and wire the valve open. Some people just removed the cable and wired the valve open.
    The reason why it’s a epa the xb12 made more noise and the exhaust valve was the fix.
    The reason I turn it off and wire it open is because it’s a poor design road debris coats the cable, cable fails.. unless you constantly clean and maintain it.

In stock trim, it also reduces the amount of the Buell torque dip at 3500-4500 RPM. It's a pretty neat design, especially considering the limitations.

cterry66, was recently trying to understand why the stock tune with a stock muffler was performing so poorly?
    The very last sentence of the ECMSPY Guide for the "Exhaust Valve Settings" says:
    "With the control voltage reversed, which is the default setup, the exhaust valve opens at the first switching point, closes at the second one and will be opened at the third RPM threshold."
    This setting works as described on my 2009 XB12X Uly with a working AMC, and I went from ~33mpg to about ~43mpg and runs way better.
    The other exhaust settings from different sources seem to have the exhaust valve working the opposite direction?
    http://www.ecmspy.com/ug_mono/V2.0/s...#exhaust-valve
    These Exhaust settings are accessible in ECMDroid, I had no problems making this change, but was cautioned by other sources that ECMDroid/ECMSPY voids my products warranty.
    Last edited by Tbone; 10-11-2021 at 07:05 PM.

I should start answering those robocalls! "Yes, I would like a aftermarket warranty on my 12 year old motorcycle!, Please tell me more!"

Theres something wrong with your tune. IEV action alone cannot affect the average mpg by 10, and 33mpg is crazy rich! Besides, any halfway decent ECM tune will do it's job and lean it out to stoic at cruise where it should be, regardless of IEV action. If you are at WOT that often, it explains the MPG, LOL! Forcing it to run a rich CL target (or a OL tune) at cruise is wasteful and completely pointless. Adding fuel at steady part throttle cruise has no reasoning unless you like changing fouled plugs, and rolling coal on a Buell is silly.

The IEV adds a little back pressure to increase mid-range torque in a stock muffler and even out the 3500-4500 dip in the curve that Buells have without it. Wiring the valve open or leaving it closed both reduce the amount of power the engine makes throughout the RPM sweep. Assuming the affects of this change without any data points is not going to be an affective tuning solution for anyone.

IMO, for a street bike, leave all the CL and targets alone, because thats where you ride it. You could mess with OL tuning on a dyno at WOT only if you want to see those extra 5 hp that are there. Or download the FREE Buell race tune and be within 99.84536876% of perfect in 10 minutes flat.

The Ferrari LaFerrari uses variable intake runner length for the same purpose, and Engine Masters has done exhaust primary length testing before. Their last episode was on individual intake runner length, but you gotta have Motortrend to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    The IEV adds a little back pressure to increase mid-range torque in a stock muffler and even out the 3500-4500 dip in the curve that Buells have without it. Wiring the valve open or leaving it closed both reduce the amount of power the engine makes throughout the RPM sweep. Assuming the affects of this change without any data points is not going to be an affective tuning solution for anyone.
    Thanks Cooter. Is there any known issues with using Buelltooth and ECMDroid/ECMSPY to make exhaust valve changes as shown in the ECMSpy Userguide? These are the changes I have made to a stock ECM that came with the Uly, and another ECM that I purchased with a tune.
    The results have been the same on both ECM's, and perform the way you describe it, which is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    The Ferrari LaFerrari uses variable intake runner length for the same purpose, and Engine Masters has done exhaust primary length testing before. Their last episode was on individual intake runner length, but you gotta have Motortrend to see it.

But no cup holder for your beer, so what do you care. Epic "CoOterfail (tm)"

We really need to get you to host an episode of VinWiki.

Last edited by 34nineteen; 10-13-2021 at 03:09 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast