Thread: TPS sensor air leak.

TPS sensor air leak.

The question, has anyone ever had issues caused by an air leak at the TPS sensor?

Some back story and explanation of my question. I've suspected my 05 xb12s might have a small intake leak for a while, however the symptoms as sporadic and minimal. Occasionally the bike would "cough" or lose power for a second when lightly accelerating from a stop if it wasn't completely up to temp. Typically in second gear around 3000 rpm. This would happen maybe once out of every 20 rides or so, so to be honest I didn't really sweat it too much. I tried the wd-40 method and it seemed to cause a slight change in idle rpm but was also hard to get repeat results. A little bit more time passed and I ended up investing in a tester that uses air pressure (1 psi) and smoke to check for vacuum or evap leaks on cars. I rigged it up to the Lightening and didn't have any luck spotting a leak on the intake seals, however it was pushing some smoke out at the TPS sensor. I bought a Buelltooth and hooked it up, sure enough the AFV is sitting at 110%.

I just thought it seamed strange and its hard to search for this stuff since the forum search won't pick up acronyms like TPS, and AFV.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitcherman View Post
    The question, has anyone ever had issues caused by an air leak at the TPS sensor?

Some back story and explanation of my question. I've suspected my 05 xb12s might have a small intake leak for a while, however the symptoms as sporadic and minimal. Occasionally the bike would "cough" or lose power for a second when lightly accelerating from a stop if it wasn't completely up to temp. Typically in second gear around 3000 rpm. This would happen maybe once out of every 20 rides or so, so to be honest I didn't really sweat it too much. I tried the wd-40 method and it seemed to cause a slight change in idle rpm but was also hard to get repeat results. A little bit more time passed and I ended up investing in a tester that uses air pressure (1 psi) and smoke to check for vacuum or evap leaks on cars. I rigged it up to the Lightening and didn't have any luck spotting a leak on the intake seals, however it was pushing some smoke out at the TPS sensor. I bought a Buelltooth and hooked it up, sure enough the AFV is sitting at 110%.

I just thought it seamed strange and its hard to search for this stuff since the forum search won't pick up acronyms like TPS, and AFV.
    Jens and Julia mention it in one of their videos.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Jens and Julia mention it in one of their videos.
    Thanks, I've never heard of them. I goggle them and see what I can find.

Edit: I think I found what you're talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjWW...nel=NCCRSweden

About 7:30 in he mentions sealing around the TPS. I think I may give that a go before firing the parts cannon at the bike. I'm not opposed to replacing seals, but honestly if I'm pulling the frame off, then its getting new plugs, wires, seals and the lot.
    Last edited by Pitcherman; 03-15-2023 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitcherman View Post
    its hard to search for this stuff since the forum search won't pick up acronyms like TPS, and AFV.
    Do it in google instead. Enter "site:buellxb.com" and the search term in the search bar of google and it will limit results to buellxb.com (or whatever site you specify).

Like this:

weirdo.jpg