Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Inevitable March Of Progress

The Inevitable March Of Progress

What are your thoughts on countries and manufacturers going electric vehicles only before 2035? It's a much larger conversation, but if we keep it to motorcycles only, are you in? Or will you be all Will Smith in I,Robot?

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/11b35d6...2-13267fb033f4
    "Please tell me this doesn't run on gas! Gas explodes, you know?"

IMO, There isn't any situation an electric motorcycle solves that a e-bike can't do easier, and a e-bike does it without needing registration, insurance, ATGATT, parking spot, non-swappable battery...

The three pronged orange leash goes against exactly what a motorcycle means to me. Freedom, maaaan.

and I just can't see far enough in the electric motorcycle future to find the range, infrastructure, dependability, anywhere NEAR what we had in even the 60's! We'd need swappable batteries/stations, solar?, tons of range, and 'right-to-repair' engineering.

Electric Motos are a pretty cool novelty right now and FUN to ride! but leave them where their strengths really show, a trials bike, single track dirt bike, pit bike, even a track super bike, would all be great for a mad dash for a short time and a rest and re-charge.

Design freedom makes some really sexy too, this looks like a hoot!
    Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 11.19.00 AM.jpg
    https://dabmotors.com/concept-e/

As of right now, no. The range, dependability, and technology isn't there yet. Just look at Tesla, GMC, and BMW. Total junk build quality. And I don't need that kind of fire under my ass.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Chris: And where in the hell is all this electrical grid-power going to come from to recharge all these vehicles on a daily basis?
    One vehicle plugged into a 240V dedicated recharging outlet, consumes roughly the equivalent energy needed to simultaneously run a 1-ton central air unit and an electric dryer....so I've read. Most grids stretched thin as it is, particularly during summer months. PA virtually has limitless capacity and ability to produce electrical power for a multitude of reasons and even we are maxed out in the summer months.

Great point. 50A service, times every home in the USA? Times how many cars you have? We already have rolling blackouts when it's hot in the summer.
    One proposed solution was to just lower the overnight rates so people charge then. OK so at 10pm every charger switches on at the same time? Bam!! Thats not how the grid works.
    and your vehicles aren't charged and ready for anything other than your commute by 8am. I don't commute or have a regular schedule. What if I need to go somewhere before then?

Swappable batteries at least smooths out that problem, but now you are changing a 1500lb(?) thing of questionable history every time you need a charge?

Kids do not want to ride anymore, they either play video games...I am glad am too old to worry a bout the sunset of combustion engines.

Besides didn't George J. Jetson promise us flying cars and robot maids by now!?!

95 percent of the electric vehicles today use coal to get recharged ! It's all BS that they're trying to sell, don't kill the messenger.

After 100+ years of perfecting the ICE we are at the pinnacle of performance, longevity, efficiency, and economy. Lets just throw all that away immediately and try something new.

Battery bicycles have battery motorcycles beat in every metric in the urban environment.

I got into a Tesla Uber during the winter. The driver was wearing a North Face bubble ski jacket, winter hat and ski gloves. Refused to turn the heat on because it would kill his battery. But he said he LOVED his battery car...... I consistently underestimate the power of denial.

Quote Originally Posted by GregoXB View Post
    Battery bicycles have battery motorcycles beat in every metric in the urban environment.
    I agree

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast