Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handlebars for Lightning

Handlebars for Lightning

So I've been doing some research on handlebars for my lightning. It's an 07 S that was properly converted (front/rear suspension, seat) to an SCG. I'm not 100% sure about the handlebars., and am looking for about a 1" rise, as I like to use my skyline seat more often than not.

1)Are the S/SCG handlebars the same except for the color? Mine are black, but not sure if PO just painted it. Dimensions would be appreciated for comparison to aftermarket.
    2) Are SX/Uly bars the same, and how much higher are these than S/SCG?
    3) How much of a rise would require changes to lines/cables? This would be my first handlebar change on a motorcycle.
    4) Any other suggestions welcome. I've read about people using Pro-Taper or Renthal, but there's so many options/dimensions I wouldn't know where to start. May be making trip to Cyclegear up the street to hold them up and see.

I have used Renthal Streetfighter and Road Low bars on my XB's without an issue. I think "magnesium" mike lowery uses Renthal Ultra Lows. We have done this on S and Ss models. I'm pretty sure the SCG uses a shorter throttle cable set, so these will likely not work on your bike if it was truly "properly converted" and they switched the throttle cables as well.

I dont recall if there is a difference between S and SCG clutch cables.

JP: if you want to simply raise what you have now, you can do it easily and on the cheap. Rise of approx 7/8th of an inch permissible with stock cables and lines. If you're satisfied with pullback, width and appearance of the bars and looking for approx 7/8th of an inch rise....then purchase a new or used XB handlebar clamp and required hardware and problem solved.
    The clamp will need mild massaging on the flats to properly interface with the triple clamp risers but easy evening project.

Purchase: new or used N0348.1ADYBP
    new or used 5/16" X 2" standard SAE cap allen head bolts---Qty 4

my uly risers.jpg

Thanks, guys. I'll probably just go with Barrett's suggestion and see if that does the trick. I imagine it's one of those things where 7/8'' can really change things, so I don't want to get too crazy, and I definitely don't want to spend more time than I have to. Anyone got any extra clamps layin around?

Quote Originally Posted by RidetheLightning View Post
    Anyone got any extra clamps layin around?
    SHUT
    UP
    COOTER

Here are some great instructions from a good friend, compatriot, and helluva great guy....

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...l=1#post606580

Awesome, thanks!

Barrett - Is it necessary to grind off the center portion of the clamp, or is it just aesthetic?

Aesthetic, they fit without grinding, but to be clear...

You want:
    Quote Originally Posted by RidetheLightning View Post
    about a 1" rise,
    Where the Renthal Ultra Lows or RC bend are about a 1" rise TOTAL, and are lower than stock. Awesome bars, because they are my preference

Or do you want bars 1" higher than you have now? (approx 3" total)? Where the Barrett trick (TM) is perfect for you. The cables will reach and the clamp is cheap to buy (real 1" Sportster risers aren't much more and come with bolts, FYI). I bet Sanford-n'-34:19 has some laying in milk crates next to the chained up Pitbull. I think City-X bars may be that high but they are very narrow too if thats what you want.

I can't get it out of my head!

Handlebars for Lightning,
    very very frightening,
    ME!
    Mama Mia Mama Mia,
    Mama Mia let me go...

Last edited by Cooter; 07-31-2021 at 06:32 AM.

I believe I am rocking the LSL Superbike Low bars.

I just did the XB Bar clamp mod on my bike. ST.Paul has the black clamp for $13.00

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast