Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Pump questions

Oil Pump questions

Since I've been out of the Buell game since 2006 I have quite a bit of catching up to do, so sorry if I start asking a lot of dumb questions.

I've been reading that there is a oil pump gear upgrade for some of the older XB models. Mine being an 05 with high flow filter, drummer exhaust, and tuned ecm this oil issue has piqued my interest. My question is, would it be possible to upgrade the 05 oil pump to the 08 and later style?

I've read that the updated 1.5" pin crank from the 08 up model is a direct drop in to the older models as long as you swap the alternator/rotor assembly at the same time. This got me wondering if the redesigned oil pump could be swapped over as well.

Can anyone enlighten me or direct me to some threads where this has been hashed out?

"Worry is just a debt that is paid in advance" and it sounds like you are obsessing lol. These aren't like i-phones where you just download the latest update, if you want the most upgraded OE Buell, find a 2010 model. Otherwise ride your bad ass Buell as much as you can and leave the Facebook 'but what IF!!' drama in the computer . IMHO.

But to answer your question. Yes, you can update the drive gear (the pump is a whole other deal) and put in the later crank. For the same cost you could sell yours and spend the difference on an '08-up that has every 'upgrade' you are asking about and more.

OR, since the cranks out, call Hammer Performance about a 1640 kit!

This was never “hashed out” as it can not be done easily.

Get the 2007 model pump, brass/beryllium drive gear and be done.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 08-02-2021 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    "Worry is just a debt that is paid in advance" and it sounds like you are obsessing lol. These aren't like i-phones where you just download the latest update, if you want the most upgraded OE Buell, find a 2010 model. Otherwise ride your bad ass Buell as much as you can and leave the Facebook 'but what IF!!' drama in the computer . IMHO.

But to answer your question. Yes, you can update the drive gear (the pump is a whole other deal) and put in the later crank. For the same cost you could sell yours and spend the difference on an '08-up that has every 'upgrade' you are asking about and more.

OR, since the cranks out, call Hammer Performance about a 1640 kit!
    Worrying? Not really. Obsessing? Always. I'm really just trying to learn what is feasible and what isn't. Which parts are easily interchangeable and which are not. Most of my questions have been readily answered by looking through old posts from years past, but I didn't find anything where this had been covered. I guess it is one of those things that is just obvious to those that are more familiar with this engine.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    This was never “hashed out” as it can not be easily done.
    Haha I love the dichotomy here. All the words above, simple and concise response here. Thanks.

So that's what you guys think about my 04 with 42k miles on it? I've never inspected the oil drive gear.. have always known it "could" be an issue. I wanna know how many ever had the drive gear waste. If it's a handful then it's an issue not worth worrying about

I'm just gonna keep riding my 05 with 30k on the clock at present. I do intend to rebuild or replace the engine at some point, just not sure when. "WHEN" that happens, I intend to tear the whole thing down and repaint, redo, all that I can.
    Last edited by kz6fittycent; 08-02-2021 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitcherman View Post
    Worrying? Not really. Obsessing? Always. I'm really just trying to learn what is feasible and what isn't. Which parts are easily interchangeable and which are not. Most of my questions have been readily answered by looking through old posts from years past, but I didn't find anything where this had been covered. I guess it is one of those things that is just obvious to those that are more familiar with this engine.

Haha I love the dichotomy here. All the words above, simple and concise response here. Thanks.
    I could go into all the details of how it can be done, but your reply will probably “oh never mind then”

Quote Originally Posted by kz6fittycent View Post
    I'm just gonna keep riding my 05 with 30k on the clock at present. I do intend to rebuild or replace the engine at some point, just not sure when. "WHEN" that happens, I intend to tear the whole thing down and repaint, redo, all that I can.
    If/when the steel gear goes, it’s going to be ugly. All it takes is for one spline to shear off and the next stop is the oil pump drain. Your oil pump will jam, which will likely cause the cam timing to go, pistons will hit valves and there will be debris in the oil system.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    If/when the steel gear goes, it’s going to be ugly. All it takes is for one spline to shear off and the next stop is the oil pump drain. Your oil pump will jam, which will likely cause the cam timing to go, pistons will hit valves and there will be debris in the oil system.
    Sounds exciting. About as exciting as telling my wife I'm going to spend money on my bike...again.

Oh, it’s a real show stopper! I’d recommend looking into the brass gear for the near future. If you have a leaky rocker box gasket, that would be the ideal time to do this, as you need to loosen the rockers before pulling the cam cover.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast