Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oil Pump questions

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    The case half is needed for the crank trigger, since the cam sensor is eliminated. You also need it so you don’t have a big hole where the oil pump “snout” sticks through to engage the gear on the crank pinion shaft.

The crank sensor triggers from raised spots on the flywheel, which the ecm uses to fire the coil. The firing pattern is much different from CPS to the CKP, so the new ECM is needed. Since the new ECM (DDFI-3) has many more pins that the old one (DDFI-2), your plugs won’t work. And if you are in the middle of the plunge it’s probably easier to replace the harness than mod it.

There will likely be someone with advanced DDFI skills and knowledge who may be able to make the DDFI-2 ECM and harness work with the CKP, but now we’re really going down the rabbit hole.

My suggestion is to stick with the 2007 pump and bronze gear. The oil pump was redesigned at that point and was used on the Sportster ‘til the end. They never did use the bronze gear, though.

Hammer performance has a YouTube video where they show the difference in the oil pumps, and if you dig around the World Wide Web long enough you’ll probably find the Harley tech sheet that shows the difference between the two.

Attachment 15619
    Ah I understand. I was wondering how in the world a mechanical oil pump would trigger an ECU upgrade. I did not realize in the switch from DDFI-2 to 3 that they went to a crank sensor in lieu of the cam sensor. That explains it all quiet well. Thank you for taking to time to share your knowledge with me. I really do appreciate it.

If the oil drive gear in my Buell strips out and blows the motor up I'm going to fix it with this. It's a little less time and money than the conversion we're taking about.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/30372166864...wAAOSwGjldN5yo

You always have options

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    If the oil drive gear in my Buell strips out and blows the motor up I'm going to fix it with this. It's a little less time and money than the conversion we're taking about.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/30372166864...wAAOSwGjldN5yo

You always have options
    LOL that's the one I was looking at!

I was actually considering buying this engine and parting it out for my 1170 project.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123