Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Full Monty

Oh man, I just can't WAIT. This is gonna be stellar.

Don't forget to add wipers to the windscreen, to knock off all the panties they throw at you

Wow.

I’ve decided to tune the big bore motor on E85. I know the fuel system will need rebuilt every few years, but I don’t care.
    I’ll need to install those 65lb injectors I’ve had laying around for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by mike lowary View Post
    I’ve decided to tune the big bore motor on E85. I know the fuel system will need rebuilt every few years, but I don’t care.
    I’ll need to install those 65lb injectors I’ve had laying around for awhile.
    I don't think it's going to be as hard on your fuel system as what people say. In fact, I've seen evidence that it (on anything built after ~00) causes no issue. I'm sure someone will disagree with me, but, I've seen it with my own eyes.

I'd think the only issue would arise from people like me who never ride their bike and let old fuel just sit in the system.

E85 is fine for a system thats built for it and Buells have a very simple fuel system. It's not Methanol!

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    E85 is fine for a system thats built for it and Buells have a very simple fuel system. It's not Methanol!
    34nineteen should build a Buell that runs on meth...wait.

Quote Originally Posted by kz6fittycent View Post
    34nineteen should build a Buell that runs on meth...wait.
    34ninteen should build a Buell that runs.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    34ninteen should build a Buell that runs.
    Perfection.

This looks like it's going to be a really awesome build. I'm excited to see it come together.

I run E85 in my built Subaru without issue. As long as you build the fuel system to handle it there shouldn't be any reliability issues. I might be concerned about the factory pump. I wouldn't be as concerned with the E85 corroding it but is it going to be able to supply the extra volume that E85 requires? I'm just asking because I don't know the capabilities of the factory system.

One other thing I do know about running E85 is that you want to make sure you're getting your oil up to temp when running it. The boiling point of ethanol is higher than gas and if you're getting much blow by into the crank case it can start to dilute the oil. I've seen more than a few high boost Subaru engines spin bearings because guys would take them out for short trips and wouldn't get them up to temp. Eventually diluted the their oil with ethanol and water. I doubt oil temps are going to be much of a concern on an air cooled engine, but just tossing the info out there as some people don't always consider how the fuel can affect the oil.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast