Thread: Low beam burnt out

Low beam burnt out

This is what I saw when I took low beam headlight out, doesn’t look like an H7. How the heck do I replace this?! Looks like this is a HID setup, but the factory plug is still intact?. I guess retrace the wires to the connectors?
    C11D88AE-EC15-4E8A-889D-0866722DE6F9.jpg
    Last edited by Ritzy; 08-04-2021 at 01:43 AM.

That is an HID bulb, you'll find a small box (transformer) near it. Most do plug into the stock harness, because all H7 plugs are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    That is an HID bulb, you'll find a small box (transformer) near it. Most do plug into the stock harness, because all H7 plugs are the same.
    The stock plug is still there, you can see it in the picture, that is what is confusing. I plugged a bulb into the stock connector and it lit up, 2 bulbs don’t fit in there, though. Seems like a weird setup, this was done by the previous owner. It’s only for the low beam. Standard H7 in the high beam.
    Last edited by Ritzy; 08-04-2021 at 02:54 AM.

If you're wanting to just replace to bulb and not mess with pulling the HID ballast and ignitor you'll need to order one from a company that handles HID retrofits as the base on those bulbs is different to standard HID bulbs.

Something along these lines would be what you're looking for: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hi...cecategory:asc

I would caution you though, that bulb may not be your issue. It isn't uncommon for non-oem ballasts to go bad before the bulbs themselves burn out.

If you're just wanting to get up and running, I would lose the HID kit on that low beam and just put in good quality halogen bulb back in its place. HID kits like that, while bright, typically have terrible light dispersion and often run hot enough to cook the reflector housing eventually making the light output worse than halogen.

OH! I get your confusion now. Lol.

You are jamming the stock bulb into the wrong side of the connector. The Yellow and Black wires are stock and the back side of the connector. Unplug the Red and Black wires from the other (front) side. They are going to the aftermarket ballast, and thats where your standard bulb plugs in once you disconnect those wires.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    OH! I get your confusion now. Lol.

You are jamming the stock bulb into the wrong side of the connector. The Yellow and Black wires are stock and the back side of the connector. Unplug the Red and Black wires from the other (front) side. They are going to the aftermarket ballast, and thats where your standard bulb plugs in once you disconnect those wires.
    All sorted out, both bulbs now H7, working just fine. Will hang on to the HID system, maybe use in the future.