Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightning Tires

Lightning Tires

It's high time I replace my 9+ year old tires (insert comment on not riding enough here). I live in Phoenix, so my issue mostly revolves around wanting a good enough handling tire for some of the fun roads, but not squaring off easily as the best roads are an hour or more away. I seem to be caught in the middleground of sport and sport touring. Wet weather isn't a big deal, but I definitely don't want to be worried too much if I get caught out far away from home. Should I be looking at the Dunlop roadsmart? My bike currently has pilot power 3's on, which seem fine but have always been up there in age since I've had the bike.

I'm running Bridgestone S22's on my S1. For the amount and type of riding I do, I'd rather have a tire that is more likely to forgive me if I go a little too hot into a turn, rather than squeak out as many miles as possible. Plus, my tires are more likely to go bad from dry rot than high mileage anyhow.

Captain Cheapskate (aka CoOter) should have some better advice on tires as he actually rides his motorcycle.

I run the Michelin Road 5 on all three of my bikes, but I commute 50 miles a day and ride every day no matter the temp or weather, unless it's icy which is rare in my area. I've never been worried about running out of grip on the road even with "spirited" riding.

The point to remember here, is that you are likely a much better rider than me.... in all aspects. Where are you in TX?

"Too hot into a turn" for me is likely a lot slower than "spirited driving" is for you.

I used to commute all over Phx back in the day on my YZF-600R, but when I moved to Houston, I was too scared of drivers and roads out there to keep doing that. I think the tank of fuel I put in when I left Phoenix, was the same tank of fuel I came back with years later. Not even kidding.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 08-25-2021 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    I'm considered to be the finest and fastest street rider on the North American continent.

This is common knowledge.

Aarons chicken strips are so big, he doesn't need to use the kickstand. Ba Dum Tiss!

Theres so many choices its confusing but any tire now-a-days will be plenty fine to trust all the way down to the edge on the street. An easy way to narrow it down is how many miles you ride before they get old? No need to get a touring tire good for 20K if thats not what you do. If your only riding 5000 miles in 5 years you might as well get the stickiest tire you can afford and enjoy the confidence they provide.

I love the Bridgestone S22 for a relatively inexpensive "hyper sport tire" expect 4-6k miles. I have run several sets of the Dunlop Q3+ and love them (3-4K miles), or spend a little more for the Michelin Pilot Road 5. It will wear awesomely, awesome in the rain, keep their profile, and last you 10K on a Buell.

I saw that Fabio Quatararo has a Barrett sticker on his race bike.

Thanks as always, guys. Only speculation I had with going sport touring over pure sport is more for even wear than total longevity. Since sport tourers seems to be pricier anyways, I'll probably just go for grip. Continental Sport Attacks are in stock and it looks like I can grab a pair at about 200 bucks.-

Quote Originally Posted by RidetheLightning View Post
    Thanks as always, guys. Only speculation I had with going sport touring over pure sport is more for even wear than total longevity. Since sport tourers seems to be pricier anyways, I'll probably just go for grip. Continental Sport Attacks are in stock and it looks like I can grab a pair at about 200 bucks.-
    It may seem cheaper in the beginning. I used to run the pilot power 2CT and I would go through about 3 rears for every 1 road 5 I go through. So you may find it would be cheaper in the long haul to run a sport touring tire. I can’t argue with the grip the 2CT was certainly more confidence inspiring in a turn, but I found that the limit of either tire was way beyond anything considered sensible riding on the street.

Good thing about tires, they’re not really a long tern investment so you’ll have plenty of opportunity to change them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitcherman View Post
    It may seem cheaper in the beginning. I used to run the pilot power 2CT and I would go through about 3 rears for every 1 road 5 I go through. So you may find it would be cheaper in the long haul to run a sport touring tire. I can’t argue with the grip the 2CT was certainly more confidence inspiring in a turn, but I found that the limit of either tire was way beyond anything considered sensible riding on the street.

Good thing about tires, they’re not really a long tern investment so you’ll have plenty of opportunity to change them.
    Appreciate the feedback, and I really like your last point. I've never tried super grippy tires, so I think I wanna give it a go and see how noticeable it is with my riding. I also suspect I may be in the same boat as 34:19 and could be more worried about dry rot than wear bars.

I am on a Uly, but so far after 500 miles I like the S22's. Seem to be almost as good as the Q3 Sportmax's for commuting 80 miles a day. Not sure what kind of mileage I will get out of them nor how they handle the rain. I stay away from Shinko's especially after getting caught in the rain and they had no wet traction. This was a few years ago, maybe they have improved? Really like the RP5's the best and if I wasn't such a sucker for tire sales would have them on my bike right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast