Thread: Need help injectors not injecting

Angry Need help injectors not injecting

Hi everyone. I am a new Buell rider. I recently purchased a 2005 Buell Firebolt XB9R with under 1100 miles.
    It has been setting for awhile. I put a new fuel pump and pressure regulator in. Cleaned out the fuel tank and fuel lines. Cleaned the injectors and bench checked them and they do work. I put everything back together and the injectors are not getting a signal to open. I have plenty of fuel pressure. If I dump gas down the intake it runs on that gas. I checked all the fuses. I'm just not sure what to look at next.
    Can someone help me with this dilemma?
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by homeinoz View Post
    Hi everyone. I am a new Buell rider. I recently purchased a 2005 Buell Firebolt XB9R with under 1100 miles.
    It has been setting for awhile. I put a new fuel pump and pressure regulator in. Cleaned out the fuel tank and fuel lines. Cleaned the injectors and bench checked them and they do work. I put everything back together and the injectors are not getting a signal to open. I have plenty of fuel pressure. If I dump gas down the intake it runs on that gas. I checked all the fuses. I'm just not sure what to look at next.
    Can someone help me with this dilemma?
    Thank you

When I look at the diagnosis flowchart in the service book, it recommends checking to see if the ECM is putting out a signal. Start there. The ECM putting out a signal is different from the injectors receiving a signal.

This isnt necessarily a Buell issue, as just about every fuel injected vehicle has the injectors driven by an ECM of sorts.

It also lists a bunch of other things to check, but this seems to be the first one.

Sir: If you're absolutely convinced that both injectors are NOT receiving an ECM signal for both opening and duration events, then I would perform the following tests and checks:
    1-check the resistance of each injector coil. Should be less than 12 OHMS.
    2-check the gray colored signal wire at the ECM for rub-thru or corrosion.
    3-carefully check all grounds. If you don't know where they are let me know and I'll walk you thru each one.
    4-remove the key switch/ignition relay and check the relay male connectors and the fusebox female connectors for corrosion.
    5-check both injector green wires for rub-thru at various possible areas including front breather hose connection and top of rear cylinder rocker box cover.
    6-check diagnostics for historical or active fault code #23. That is typically a bad ground.
    7-run diagnostics to see if your ECM is actually firing both injectors.
    8-check both dedicated ECM ground wires for corrosion and continuity.

LASTLY....CHECK YOUR BAS(bank angle sensor) device to see if it's faulty. If so, it cuts off the injector signal. Safety feature.

Thank you

All of Barrett’s info is great.
    But my two cents is get or use ecmspy and do a ecm test cycle on your injectors. Then check grounds...
    Also just to get a better idea was the bike wrecked or just sitting? While it was sitting was it out side and last but not least is it California gas or ethanol?
    The reasons I am asking is because if it was Cali all you really need to do is change fuel pump and hose take the injectors out of the throttle body and cycle the fuel pump (turn off and on the key) I use two cut up beer cans to catch the fuel ground the can to the top aluminum v mount. Put the injectors back in and fire the bike.

Now if the bike was wrecked and the front stay broke it could be the BAC firebolts are notorious for jamming them up because they are on the top of the headlights bracket also that’s when you have the ecm problems but normally you will not get the starter to turn.

If you don’t have ecmspy you can do the screwdriver test. Take air box base off and cycle the key to hear the pump turn on and rest the tip of the standard screwdriver on each injector and you should feel it vibrate for a sec.

One last thing two years ago I bought a 2007 firebolt that was wrecked with only 600miles I did not use the frame,ecm,wiring harness or fuel pump and had a similar issue to yours and it was because I had a whole lot of air in the lines corny as it may sound I ran the battery dead twice then it finally fired. Only thing was I knew my injectors were opening.

Good luck