Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XB12s cuts out at steady speed

XB12s cuts out at steady speed

Hello, We bought an 07 XB12stt. While riding at steady speed it will Cough. Revs up fine doesn't die any. Just cuts out enough to be aggravating. No motor indication lights on. Ran several fuel injector cleaner. The previous owner said it seemed to start that after getting gas from a stupid grocery store gas station.
    Replaced plugs and cleaned*air*sensor in*air*box. Done the TPS throttle reset throttle 3x twist with ignition on motor off. Any ideas? Thanks

Sir: Four things readily apparent.
    1-You're not sure the exact model year of your XB
    2-If in fact it's a 2007...your TPS procedure is entirely incorrect
    3-You purchased it with a known substantial problem, either downplayed or flat-out lied about by the seller
    4-You couldn't have been anymore vague with provided info to include mileage...ownership history....stock or modded...stock or modded exhaust system

CHECK THE 10TH DIGIT OF YOUR VIN. THAT DEPICTS MODEL YEAR. NUMBER FOR NUMBER...."A" FOR YEAR 2010.

I describe "cuts out" in 1 of 2 ways: falls on its face with regularity, as if throttle gently closed. Always fuel and/or air-flow source related.....OR....abruptly stutters and shuts off as if kill switch activated. Always ignition sourced related.

Once you've determined the type of actual symptom you have, that will determine what to focus upon. Possibilities include:
    Stock exhaust system including muffler with failing IEV actuator
    One or both spark plug wires shorting to ground or failed internally
    Fuel pump with marginal/interrupted fuel flow...in need of servicing
    Faulty battery and/or charging system output to include cracked/corroded/loose battery end cables
    Failing key switch relay
    Failing kill switch assembly
    Airbox-to-TB assembly rubber connector boot misaligned or improperly installed

Click link...follow simple instructions...check for historicals.

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...ng-error-codes

You're welcome.

2003-2007 right-side engine style
    2007.jpg

2008-2010 right side engine style
    2009-Buell-Lightning-XB12S-Sportbike-Motorcycles-For-Sale-904.jpg

Thanks. It has 23k miles. Stock exhaust. No mods. I'm the third owner. Is there a TPS procedure for this model? I'll check your suggestions.

2003-2007 inclusive all XB models can only have a TPS reset performed via software program that accesses the ECM via the onboard diagnostic plug. ECMSPY is one such program........as follows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i33__Qkvhn4

Alright I’ll bite. The sputter is it a surge like lugging the bike or a pop? has the bike fell on the header side?

Thanks. I'll order the ECM plug and download diagnostic program.

It pops just a little. It feels like a dead miss or starved for fuel. Mainly does it around 2800 to 3k rpm.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by squidbuellie View Post
    Alright I’ll bite. The sputter is it a surge like lugging the bike or a pop? has the bike fell on the header side?
    Lugging. For sure

The valve on top of the airbox that is connected to the valve on the exhaust can. I never see it move. The arm on the exhaust moves freely when I push it with a screwdriver
    and the spring is on it. Should that move idling/revving in neutral?

It says... right on that module... "Do NOT move by hand"...

Welp, I moved it while I was removing the cable to make sure it wasn't froze up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast