Thread: My new camping rig

My new camping rig

I like to go motorcycle camping. I usually do at least 1 trip per year with friends. Some of them don't have good luggage and my wife doesn't have good luggage either (she hates a top box). Sometimes, we have stiff stacked in crazy or uncomfortable ways. I wanted to make it more comfortable for all of us.
    Anyway, I found a Moto-mule for sale. I had to modify it a bit, but it fits now. Just had to widen the arms a bit.
    Took it to the lake this weekend, 2 hours each way and it handles so well. You can hardly tell it's back there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by spigatelli; 09-08-2021 at 10:33 PM.

This was the process to make it fit the Buell. I think it was originally made for an XR650 or something.
    It uses a rod through the hollow axle, but the main weight is handled by the bushings on both sides. They fit just into the recess of the axle and don't move around at all once tightened.
    I took it down some gravel roads with a few pot holes and it followed along without complaint.

PXL_20210814_145044526.jpgPXL_20210814_165916731.jpgPXL_20210814_172058601.jpgPXL_20210814_191652655.jpg

I've seen some crazy set-ups (to load god knows what you need on a motorcycle camping trip), and some crazy over done trailers, but the simplicity and lightness of that makes some sense. Even the additional un-sprung weight doesn't seem to be out of hand for a Uly with the thicker wheel and 3 bearings.

The whole thing, fully loaded is like 100lbs. I have done a lot of motorcycle camping trips and most of the time, I don't want or need anything aside from what fits in my bags. But when you are gone for a week or more, a few creature comforts are really nice to have.
    I also don't have to choose between a tent or a hammock. With this, I can take both.
    The Moto-mule guy doesn't make them anymore, but there is another guy KipMoto that makes the SherpaX trailer. It's probably a better design than this one and all aluminum. https://kipmoto.com/pages/sherpax

I don't have the 3 bearing wheel yet, but it's on my list.

Hey I'm not judging. You do you man I'm new to any trailer stuff, so just curious is all.

I would have assumed a hardtail trailer with a low psi fat tire would do the job admirably instead of adding the complexity and weight of suspension to the rear, but that was probably version 1.0, haha.

IMO, it's a worthwhile upgrade, don't forget you need the black axle as well. Sadly none of these parts are getting cheaper

Since the wheel bearing thing seems to be caused by too much tension, I wonder if one of these might help...
    https://www.freespiritsparts.com/en/...ner-black.html

I know it isn't for the Ulysses, but maybe they could make one that fits. Someone on a Ulysses facebook group asked them about it the other day, I think.

Edit: Did some searching and it seems the quality of these may not be great and the customer service is sus.
    I will look into drilling out my tensioner, however.
    Last edited by spigatelli; 09-09-2021 at 07:56 PM.

Wonder why they don’t work on the Uly?

They have a pretty bad rap for blowing apart. Lots of threads on it.