Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crankcase breather mod - What did I do wrong??

Your set up is all good, functionally. Removing the filter and the plug will also let is function perfectly and you'll have the additional benefit of less shmoo on the engine

Now... what tires do you like?

I can't believe how I overlooked the simplest part of the original set up: if you have some incoming flow and you cap the end, it will take the path of least resistance AKA the air filter. Like blowing through a straw (I know it's not that strong), blocking the end, and poking a hole on the side of it.

Duh.

I am a fan of the road draft tube. On my Uly, ran it next to the fuel line then down by the fuel vent line. Stay simple my friend.
    -Dave

Didn't ol' mate Teabag the russian spudnik design and build a way over the top catch can and bits.......like waaaaaay over the top cnc ****?

Yes. 11 PAGES of nonsense.
    https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...light=breather

Which includes this Gem:

"Fer realz though, put a little bit of absorbent material in there. I'm totally serious when... right now, I'm going to say, right below here... "Tiny maxi-pads work very well".

Tiny maxi-pads work very well. The inner layer absorbs your discharges, but will still show the nasty discharges you could have that warn of problems in your box, and might even require an exam While the outer breathable layer keeps everything in your box clean. I'm not sure how big your box is, but shoving a pad that fits, will keep you box clean and dry... ready to impress all the guys that see your box. Oh and you won't need that silver thing screwed in your other hole either. The pad will allow fresh air into your box even with your big hole open."

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Yes. 11 PAGES of nonsense.
    https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...light=breather

Which includes this Gem:

"Fer realz though, put a little bit of absorbent material in there. I'm totally serious when... right now, I'm going to say, right below here... "Tiny maxi-pads work very well".

Tiny maxi-pads work very well. The inner layer absorbs your discharges, but will still show the nasty discharges you could have that warn of problems in your box, and might even require an exam While the outer breathable layer keeps everything in your box clean. I'm not sure how big your box is, but shoving a pad that fits, will keep you box clean and dry... ready to impress all the guys that see your box. Oh and you won't need that silver thing screwed in your other hole either. The pad will allow fresh air into your box even with your big hole open."

Wow that was 11 pages of nonsense! Cooter fine work in all aspects. Im new to the forum and read this first luckily. My names Chris, Ive got a 2003 Xb9R Firebolt. It's a work in progress just thought i would say hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    If you feel you don't want a tiny amount of oil vapor to be run back through the engine simply Tee-ing the breathers together at the valve covers and run a small line down to the swing arm pivot is all that needs to happen. Also called a draft tube or road draft tube.
    You could put a dip or loop in the line in order for the vapors to eventually coalesce and act as a filter or bug trap but really not needed.
    You could also add a little filter at the end to soak up some vapor and stop the bugs with no bad effects as well.

This super simple 'mod' has been done and OVER done elevenmillionty times. The rule is: if your engine is puking so much blow-by you are getting liquid out of that tube every ride, park the bike and order a re-build kit.
    This is what I did. Ran the hose down the inside of the frame and joined the rear with the front using a tee. Then you dont see it running down the side of the engine. Single line ran down to just behind the footpeg bracket. I left the hose open at the end. Occasionally it would get excited and spooge out some milky water/oil but most of the time it was clean.

is anyone using a check valve to prevent back flow instead of a filter? this is what I plan to do with my setup that will be getting rid of the grommets/fittings in the valve covers.

According to other posts about this, the crankcase or whatever utilizes a one way reed valve in the PCV valves that negates the need for a check valve.

See 8th post
    https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...oved-Krankvent!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast