Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: buelltooth questions

I’ve had coils fail just like that in the past. Should be able to do a ohm’s check to see if it’s in range. You could also test with one of those adjustable spark gap tools you plug into the spark plug wire. A good coil will jump a 3/8” gap.

This check will only be an effective diagnosis during your no-start condition. If the bike is currently running, it will pass all these tests.

All you need is 10 minutes, and test light that Harbor Freight will give you for FREE with a coupon.

1) If you have an extra spark plug laying around for any gas engine you can use it to test for spark, without removing yours at all. Plug your plug wire on it, ground the metal end and crank it. Check both plug wires. If you don't have a plug from your lawn mower, pull out one of yours and use it.

2) If you are getting spark at BOTH cylinders during this no-start condition you can stop looking for electronic reasons (except timing). Look for fueling issues. Does the pump run with the key/kill switch on?

3) If you are not getting spark at BOTH plugs, check the 3 wire plug going in to the coil. Thats the primary/ low voltage side. The wires on each end of the plug fire the coil when grounded. The center wire should be battery voltage. Check the wire on each side with a test light connected to the battery (+) and crank it over. You should get a blinking light on both. If you DO get blinking oil both, get a coil, yours is bad.

4) If you are not getting spark at ONE plug, swap the wires. If the spark changes cylinders, you need coil wires. If it does not, you need a coil.

5) If both wires do not blink, check the center wire of the CPS the same way, if it doesn't blink, and you have input voltage at the plug, get a CPS, yours is bad.

6) If the CPS wire blinks, check it at the ECM. NO blink, its the wire. Yes blink, its the ECM.

7) If you have a blinking wire on only ONE of the coil primary wires, check it at the ECM. NO blink, its the ECM. Yes blink, its the wire to the coil.

Once you finish ALL these very simple checks, IN ORDER, during a no start condition, you will know whats wrong with your bike without guessing and can fix it without spending money to replace parts that are good. 10 minutes. I'll wait.
    Last edited by Cooter; 09-20-2021 at 12:39 AM.

FYI my CPS didn't look melted, and the cover is secured with rivets, so someone's already been in there. Should probably set your static timing in case someone messed with it.

Good point RtL If that cover didn't have its stock rivets in it, you have more things to check after you find the issue. Take a picture of where it is now, but i wouldn't suggest messing with it quite yet. Timing is not causing your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    This check will only be an effective diagnosis during your no-start condition. If the bike is currently running, it will pass all these tests.

All you need is 10 minutes, and test light that Harbor Freight will give you for FREE with a coupon.

1) If you have an extra spark plug laying around for any gas engine you can use it to test for spark, without removing yours at all. Plug your plug wire on it, ground the metal end and crank it. Check both plug wires. If you don't have a plug from your lawn mower, pull out one of yours and use it.

2) If you are getting spark at BOTH cylinders during this no-start condition you can stop looking for electronic reasons (except timing). Look for fueling issues. Does the pump run with the key/kill switch on?

3) If you are not getting spark at BOTH plugs, check the 3 wire plug going in to the coil. Thats the primary/ low voltage side. The wires on each end of the plug fire the coil when grounded. The center wire should be battery voltage. Check the wire on each side with a test light connected to the battery (+) and crank it over. You should get a blinking light on both. If you DO get blinking oil both, get a coil, yours is bad.

4) If you are not getting spark at ONE plug, swap the wires. If the spark changes cylinders, you need coil wires. If it does not, you need a coil.

5) If both wires do not blink, check the center wire of the CPS the same way, if it doesn't blink, and you have input voltage at the plug, get a CPS, yours is bad.

6) If the CPS wire blinks, check it at the ECM. NO blink, its the wire. Yes blink, its the ECM.

7) If you have a blinking wire on only ONE of the coil primary wires, check it at the ECM. NO blink, its the ECM. Yes blink, its the wire to the coil.

Once you finish ALL these very simple checks, IN ORDER, during a no start condition, you will know whats wrong with your bike without guessing and can fix it without spending money to replace parts that are good. 10 minutes. I'll wait.
    Man, you are a goldmine of information about checking ignition!
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 09-20-2021 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Man, you are a goldmine of information about checking ignition!
    Sourced from me. Unadulterated blatant plagiarism.
    LOL

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...917#post630917

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Sourced from me. Unadulterated blatant plagiarism.
    LOL

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...917#post630917
    He's the Amy Schumer of Buell diagnosis!

Last edited by 34nineteen; 09-20-2021 at 10:02 PM.

She's so hot

Hey Barrett, if it's plagiarism, I picked the best source!

Or we get basic spark questions SO MANY TIMES!! it feels like Déjà vu. Just blame the part you don't understand. CPS or ECM, right?

the exterior cover was riveted on. the inner metal cover has two screws and one of the was stripped.

i found the issue. its the coil. i just havent figured out the reason yet. i gave a spark tester that i was using. when i initially put it on i got no spark from either side. went to remove the coil from the bike and i smacked the plug with my wrist when i was reaching in and it flt loose. i unplugged it and then plugged it back in and the bike fired right off. tester showed spark on both sides. so the coil is the issue however its not known yet if the coil is bad or if the issue was with the plug. testing in progress.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast