Thread: Parts for my bike and a little idle issue

Parts for my bike and a little idle issue

So I have recently purchased a 2000 Buell x1 lightning. This bike only has 5000 miles on it and so I've done the super basic maintenance like changing the oil and tightening bolts and whatnot. I got it to run and rode it around, but the bike does not like to idle very much, it sputters, backfires rarely, and pops. You can ride it around but idle is a bit rough and giving it more than 3/4 throttle is also somewhat of a struggle. The bike has been sitting for at least 6 or 7 years before I got it with no fuel in it whatsoever. The shop I got it from said one of the fuel injectors needed to be cleaned or replaced. I would like to know if anybody can confirm or deny that this could be the issue. The bike is all stock besides cosmetic things. I also needed to know where I can get my rear shock rebuilt as it is completely shot, I do have the longer 16.5 shock and would like to know if it is better to rebuild it or get a different one. I also need to know where I can send off my forks to be rebuilt. I have seen people say that race tech offers these services but I am curious how it works.

Find the manual and the fork rebuild is not the worst job to tackle at home if you have some space to work and a bench vise. As for the shock rebuild I just recently got my first tuber and haven’t even checked it over thoroughly so no idea on the shock rebuild at home Racetech probably does them too.

Start here:

https://www.buellmods.com/content/do..._x1_manual.pdf

Yes, you most likely have a fueling issue. I heard somewhere that is sat for 6-7 years and was just started. IMO magic potions that go in your gas tank are nonsense. Remove the injectors and have them sonic cleaned while you flush the fuel system at home.

I appreciate it, man! I do have the space and enough time during winter I could most likely get the forks rebuilt at home. As for the shock I believe to be out of my abilities.

http://epmperf.com
    The link above is where I sent the rear shock on my 06' Uly to. I was happy with their service, and prompt return. I went with Hyperpro springs front and rear. They sent me the front springs and I rebuilt the forks myself. Was a bit intimidating being my first fork rebuild; just follow the steps, and when you finish you'll be like, that wasn't so difficult. I got my "All Balls" seals kit from St.Paul H.D.

Last edited by TheWood; 09-19-2021 at 09:51 PM.