Thread: rear head leaking oil

rear head leaking oil

I have oil coming out of my rear cylinder on my 2003 Buell Firebolt xb9r do I have to drop the motor to fix it or is there an easier way to do the fix

Do you know where it is leaking from?

Quote Originally Posted by jeff hawks View Post
    I have oil coming out of my rear cylinder on my 2003 Buell Firebolt xb9r do I have to drop the motor to fix it or is there an easier way to do the fix
    its hard to say without more info your best bet is to take it to a coin op car wash with a bottle of degreaser and clean it up really well and then pinpoint where the leak is actually coming from before you can get an accurate answer a lot of repairs on these bikes can be done with the motor in place but some require the motor to be rotated however i just like to remove the motor from the frame to get complete easy access to everything and also look for other potential problems why other people dont take this approach is beyond me but a job worth doing is worth doing right and some many people want to half ass it but i digress usually if your are leaking from the rear cylinder it is usually the base gasket or the rocker box gasket i recommend doing both since you are there and you will also need a head gasket too i also recommend doing the front while you are doing the rear cylinder because its probably going to leak next its like when you get a hole in your shoe you dont just replace the one shoe you replace both or maybe you dont who knows if your going to do all that your are going to need to replace the intake manifold seals also oh did i mention that when you do the base gaskets you will want to remove the pistons from the connecting rods and keep them in the cylinders so dont forget to get circlips they are super cheap but do not reuse if that sounds like a lot it would be pointless to do all that and skip the base gaskets to find out they are now leaking when you get it all together base gaskets are also cheap even from harley since you are that far in the belly of the beast i would also recommend looking into getting the fuel injectors cleaned the bike is now almost two decades old and its likely the injectors have never been cleaned new replacement ones are very hard to find and expensive so make sure you take care of the ones you have and clean them before they are permanently damaged once you removed the frame from the motor once you will find out its really not that bad but its helpful if you have a garage or shed you can work in and not something like an apartment complex i know that may not be feasible with the way todays real estate market is but i wound up selling my place and am now renting an apartment with a garage in it and my buell scg is totally taken apart right now and i should be assembling it soon or so i say haha and oh before i forget be sure to download a copy of the service manual from buellmods as there are specific details for the disassembly and reassembly process that you need to adhere to and not mixing things up like pushrods as well as the correct torque sequence for the bolts its critical to do these in order or you can really mess up the motor ive seen more than a few people do it with out the service book and turn a small job into an really expensive job they have to do twice i think thats about it good luck
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 09-23-2021 at 03:32 PM.

If you put a beat in the background and read it like a rap song it's the most amazing thing ever

Let me assist. You're welcome.

LMFAO I just read that run on response hehehe

If you've got the tools and space, remove the frame, for sure.