Thread: Lift a Uly?

Hybrid View

Lift a Uly?

Garage is semi-finished and built into the house, and has a second story above it. Trying to tie into the Joists above to lift my Uly to work on it. Any suggestions about hardware, pulleys or straps that can do this? Wish I had a ceiling crane like I use at work.

The whole bike weighs less than 450lbs. 750lb ratchet straps from Husky or something quality should be plenty with a safety margin. Bolt an eye hook with a large washer through the beams. Using 2 is overkill but stops the swing

“The Chinese junk store” has 1/4 ton come a longs they’re great for stuff like that. O-yeah they call themselves Harbor Freight Tools. The only thing better about using the come a long is you have control over the down as well as the up.
    Last edited by cvc; 09-26-2021 at 02:22 AM.

Thats a good idea cvc^^^^. You could also mount a boat trailer hand winch to the rafter, they're cheap there too!

Years ago, I lived in a stilt house on the bay. Thinking of storm surge, I fashioned a 'bike lift' to (hopefully) keep my Harley FXRLR dry if the waters rose.

I used a boat trailer winch, and a couple of sheaves bolted to the overhead. I just ran both cables to the winch drum. I had hooks on both cable ends, and used nylon 'cheaters' on the bike.

I never needed it for a flood, but used it a couple times for servicing the bike. I do like the 'double' idea above to stop the swinging.

Thanks Cooter and everyone, Great info. Browsing HF and think these may help, either Hoist or Winch?Attachment 15743Attachment 15744
    Thinking for $16 A couple or 3 hoists, 2 for the handle bars, is it a good idea to lift it by the handle bars. Another one for the rear of the bike, by the passenger grab handles?

496lbs!? That's weigh off. (PPPPPUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Subtracting 18 lbs for fuel, 7 for oil, and rounding up to 30lbs total, 'dry weight' would still be easily 60+ lbs over the 'official' figure of 403lbs (I assume dry and added 22lbs for Uly bags in my 425lb guess).

Is 15% fudge factor even in reality? How do mfg's get away with that blatant lie? They sure can't do that with HP numbers and it seems a simple scale is an easier figure to get.

Barrett has a good point, but if you don't trust your rafter to hang 2 men and a dog, you wouldn't find me in that garage. The 2 dead men and the dog notwithstanding.
    Last edited by Cooter; 09-29-2021 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
    Garage is semi-finished and built into the house, and has a second story above it. Trying to tie into the Joists above to lift my Uly to work on it. Any suggestions about hardware, pulleys or straps that can do this? Wish I had a ceiling crane like I use at work.
    What size are your joist(2"x10",2"x12", or engineered beams or lumber?), and what is the span between support walls? It's always best to spread the load(in other words, use a couple of joists instead of just one) I am an "actual contractor". Perhaps a pic.?

Thanks for the info and concern. The Garage has a second story above it, which is a positive. Will also be removing an OSB sheet or 2 that is covering the ceiling in the garage to see the sizes of the beams. The house was built in 1999, and has all real wood beams that I can see under the Pier and Beam foundation for the floors. The attached garage is on a slab. so it is about 5 stairs below the house floor. Plan on attaching at least 4 points. Will try to get some pictures this weekend.

Nice! If they kept the top plate height the same as the home, it sounds like you have a nice tall (around 11') ceiling in new attached garage. Using (4) points as you mentioned, I'd say you have nothing to worry about(just don't lift your sports car up by it). Try to keep the bolt holes approximately between the center and within the top few inches of the height of the joist.