Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front Link Bolt?

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
    More likely the bike stopped charging for some reason?
    That is my guess. An intermittent VR. They will run for a LONG time without charging, so you might have never known. My 'record' () on my Buell is an hour and a half to get 80 miles and it STILL cranked over.

Why are you so focused on the battery itself? Is it because you don't understand them? Don't worry about how it produces electricity, the volt/amp requirements of the bike are the same and are easily tested. NO battery can supply voltage it doesn't have. 3 bikes (2 Buells) in my garage run Li-Ion batteries flawlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Why are you so focused on the battery itself? Is it because you don't understand them? Don't worry about how it produces electricity, the volt/amp requirements of the bike are the same and are easily tested. NO battery can supply voltage it doesn't have. 3 bikes (2 Buells) in my garage run Li-Ion batteries flawlessly.
    What brand battery do you use Cooter?
    Possibly I am over analyzing/obsessing because I am a knucklehead that has a Uly with an anti-gravity, and another Uly with a shorai. I am swapping batteries between bikes and seeing how well the bikes are charging them and how well the batteries are performing.
    I am actually having a good time doing this and riding one bike after the other.
    Last edited by Tbone; 10-03-2021 at 12:30 AM.

The Buell/EBR both have Shorais. The EBR sits on the Shorai tender/charger because of parasitic draw and less frequent use, but the Ss will sit for much more than a month untouched and still crank up easily.

Do you use store mode on the Shorai charger?

Since it's on the EBR because of it's parasitic draw when I park it in the garage 'store mode' all I have to use. Neither battery has been discharged enough to need the charge mode, but the charger will tell you. It's written on the front.

In Store mode the battery is float charged between %60(13.13v) and %80(13.3v) of a fully charged batteryAttachment 15756.
    Unfortunately I have been using the "Charge" mode only, which charges the battery to at or near %100(14.34v).
    Unfortunately again, it appears Charge Mode will not float charge the battery? so once it has completly cycled through a charge the battery just gets parasitically drained while on the bike, as I experienced first hand. Or is it possibe I have a bad battery since I have drained it a few times now?
    Again things I should have known a year ago, Store mode would have been better, and as written in Fine print on the front of charger using "Charge" mode after Store is best. Thanks for pointing that out Cooter, where are my magnifier glasses?
    Antigravity lithium restart battery has some features I like, low voltage protection, will not allow the battery to discharge below 13.1 volts. Built-in/on-board BMS so it is balancing whenever or however it is being charged. Also the CTEK charger is fully automatic, you just connect it, and it will charge then float the battery if you leave the charger connected with out touching a button. The Shorai requires a push hold then double pump........etc.
    The Shorai battery is about $80 cheaper, and the charger is about $40 cheaper than the Antigravity battery and CTEK charger. I think I like the antigravity set-up better, and the cost of Shorai better. I ended up with both because my new to me XP bike came with antigravity battery and I bought the CTEK charger that was recommended. Just like with the Shorai battery I got the recommended Shorai charger.
    Last edited by Tbone; 10-04-2021 at 11:22 AM.

Why don't you 2 LoveBirds just call each other instead of these incessant PDA's?
    To use a Japanese battery from an R&D outfit in Pelosi-Land that's manufactured in Hong Kong is completely un-American.

etx14.jpg

Your right Barrett, we should buy American. What are the brands of Lithium batteries made in America? After briefly searching it appears most lithiums are made in China.
    Last edited by Tbone; 10-04-2021 at 02:51 PM.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier...h=352244737867

A couple years old but still valid.

The older Antigravity batteries and other lithium batteries require a special charger designed for the lithium battery. The more modern, higher end batteries often (but not always) have circuitry built into the battery to allow a regular charger to be used.

If you're the only person working on the bike and are diligent about always using the correct charger on the battery you should be fine. However, if not...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12