Thread: New to "The Bug"..........need a Buuuueelllllllllllll... !!!

Hello all, I have been bitten and am suffering.......my problem is that I am 6'7" with an inside leg length @ 36" & have fallen hard for the Buell, but will i fit without looking like a gorilla on a kids bike????
    I also weigh in @ 240lbs too big/heavy???

I haven't ridden any motorcycles before but feel confident with my skills as i have ridden & raced both road & mtn bikes for my whole life(I was riding before i walked :D)
    so flying down the back side of a mtn rd at 60mph on a 3/4" wheel is fun for me!

I also plan on doing a rider training course and then the advanced later...any recommendations on good courses for Birmingham Alabama?

Thanks for any help/advice anyone wants to share!

Jekyll

Administrator
    I would go with the Ulysses at your height, or if you don't like the Ulysses then at least go with the Long Lightning. The normal Buells might feel like a pocket rocket on steriods to you. Just go to you local dealer and take a test drive. Have a friend take a digital photo of you, post it on the forum and we'll give you some honest opinions.

Thanks for the input 'buellxb' I was thinking of the Ulysses anyway.

Just called around and the dealership listed as my closest informed me they no longer carry them, they were already 60 miles away.
    the next one is a hundred miles away in huntsville, and they said it will probably have to be repaired/maintenance issues etc. with them?

i thought they could be serviced by any harley store?

this could put a quick end to my dreams:(

Administrator
    Don't give up now! Join the Buell team. Sure it's easy to go out and get a 'dime a dozen' Honda or Suzuki, but a Buell is a rare, powerful thing of beauty.

What specifically are they talking about with the Ulysses? They're not hard to take care of. As with all Buells you have to get your TPS reset every once in a while at a dealer, but other than that there's not much complicated about caring for these beasts.

Change the oil and add gas as necessary :p. Check your tire pressure occasionally and your set.

Ok and being too big? Dude, you ride a "mountain bike", I highly doubt you will look to big on a Buell + more people will be looking at your bike than you anyways.

As far as the ULY goes, I dont personally like them but to each his own. I ride the XB12SS and its sweet. If you plan on riding a passenger it fits pretty nice. You can also get bags for trips or a nice aftermarket seat with backrest for comfortable passenger riding.

I am 6'4" and 230 lbs. I ride a Lightning XB12s and it is too small for me. I love the way the bike handles, looks, and sounds. But it is very cramped for me on any ride longer then a few miles around town.

And yes, I get many comments on how I look like an ape riding a kids bike. I didn't really notice myself until a friend of mine who is 6'5" and around 240lbs ride it this weekend. Yes, he looked way too big for the bike.

But it all comes down to what you are comfortable with. I love the Buell brand and will stick with them. I plan on buying a Ulysses in the next few months and the wife plans on taking over my lightning. Of all the demo rides I have done on all Buell models, the only other one I felt like I had enough room on wa sthe Lightning Super TT. But I feel most comfortable on the Ulysses. The lightning long was still cramped for me.

MY biggest piece of advice would be not to buy anything until you ride it. I have never been to a HD/Buell dealership that will not allow you to take one for a ride as long as you have your endorsement.

And the closest Buell dealership to me is around 120 miles away. It sucks but I deal with it.

The SuperTT would be sweet, man I forgot about those. Thats the single motocross stylish seat one yeah? That should feel perfect for you! Should be the same as the Lightning, but different seat and front fender. You should be real comfortable on that one You can slide back further on the seat giving more leg room. That combined with some adjustable pegs and you should be golden!!