Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Brake Question

Rear Brake Question

The other day I noticed that it seemed like I had almost no rear brake stopping power. I don't use the rear brakes much except when coming to the final few feet at a stop sign or light. T thought that my pads might have glazed over so I took them off and sanded them on a flat surface. No difference. They aren't spongy and the rear brake fluid level hasn't changed. I can still lock the rear tire if I give it enough pressure, but there is no "feel" to it anymore. Is it time for a master cylinder or caliper rebuild?

I'm thinking about making a trip down to Ohio 555 before the season is done so I'd like to have everything back working before I go.

I never felt any of my XB rear brakes were great. They did the job but never stood out. The triple nickel however was a good ride. 👍

The only way I ever got a Buell XB rear brake to be better, was to throw it away.

Using a smaller bore (11mm) Brembo rear master cylinder was a definite HUGE upgrade that I sold with my STT. I was recently reminded of the part number 10.4776.50 - H-6.1. (Thanks Entropy76!) and have it ready to put on the Ss The best $70 you can spend. FYI, It also works with the P32 hidden caliper mod.

Want one, need one! Where could I order that part# from Shaughn? Will that bolt right up to my 06' Uly w/o modification? Great upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    The only way I ever got a Buell XB rear brake to be better, was to throw it away.

Using a smaller bore (11mm) Brembo rear master cylinder was a definite HUGE upgrade that I sold with my STT. I was recently reminded of the part number 10.4776.50 - H-6.1. (Thanks Entropy76!) and have it ready to put on the Ss The best $70 you can spend. FYI, It also works with the P32 hidden caliper mod.

Or if the master cylinder just needs rebuilding, just get a rebuild kit from St Paul for $15 and rebuild it. Every Buell I’ve ever owned has had front and/or rear brake issues, and most all of them come from them being neglected.

The feel or power of the rear has never been superb, but you also don’t want to be able to easily lock up the rear either. Unless you’re that guy who needs to do those long rear wheel slides while drifting with the rest of the JDM boiz.

I think Winston was selling the rear master cylinders on here not too long ago. I bought a rear caliper from him and

EBC sintered FA140HH rear pads OR Vesrah sintered VES568 rear pads. Very nice cheap improvement. Factory pads are garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    EBC sintered FA140HH rear pads OR Vesrah sintered VES568 rear pads. Very nice cheap improvement. Factory pads are garbage.
    Just ordered a set from Amazon. Thanks for the help.

My pleasure Sir. Look at link below...."EBC pads fitted to used rotors" info. Tedious but does make a difference.

https://www.hawkgtforum.com/forum/ho...pads-procedure

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    My pleasure Sir. Look at link below...."EBC pads fitted to used rotors" info. Tedious but does make a difference.

https://www.hawkgtforum.com/forum/ho...pads-procedure
    What pads do you recommend for the front?

The same EBC HH series pads are totally fine for the street. If you like better initial bite or ride pretty hard, try the EPFA series. They were an absolute game changer for braking confidence, cooler running, and better feel for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast