Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PCV Valves

Curious to see how well a brand new one responds to the breath test.

Ouch
    https://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/websh...cid=0&s=pcv&a=

Since Buell didn't make this part. I think it's time to find the source, or another application that works.

Seventy-two dollars! Each!?

As my daughter would post, "OMG!"

Plus shipping.

That umbrella type PCV system is common on motorcycles, you just need it to fit in the tight space you have, or put a hose on a 90% fitting in the cover and remote mount one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushr0d View Post
    Seventy-two dollars! Each!?

FFS people. Did Facebook finally win or what?

https://st-paul-harley-davidson-buel...3978bd2d&_ss=r

https://www.vpartsinc.com/2575-17607-00y

and there are over 800 still available. I give up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushr0d View Post
    Cooter, there's almost no difference which end you blow in - very little resistance.

What little there is might probably be the foam 'oil trap'.
    There is a noticeable difference when blowing in the valve from one side to the other. Blowing from the engine side, air flows pretty freely through the valve. If you blow in from the hose side, there is a definite blockage. On the older Sportster motors this umbrella valve is replaceable. Luckily there are plenty in stock at VPI and probably St Paul.

Could you post a FaceBook Market Place link?

Those umbrella valves come in the rocker box seal kit from Harley for the old tube frame Buells.

I only responded as I did because the cost in Europe is freakin' incredible!

At StPHD, they're -only- $37 each. Plus shipping.

I'm going to see if I can find a suitable 'replacement' - like Cooter says - if I can find one that fits in the limited space. I'm thinking there might be room in the airbox. Leave the 'oilscrubber/breather' in place, and put the umbrella valve downstream.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Could you post a FaceBook Market Place link?
    You're a FaceBook Market Place link.

Cheap Alternate Part

Okay - an update. Still outraged by the cost of a 'genuine' replacement part (StPHD - $34 plus $5.66 shipping), I decided to look for a suitable alternate.

I found an umbrella/mushroom style valve at Advance Auto Parts. It's a Carquest #PCA 1026. The callout says it's for a 2000 VW Passat 2.8L. $4.49, plus tax. It has a small valve body, and a hose barb at 90 degrees.

I replaced the section of hose that ran from the 'original' PCV in the rocker box cover into the airbox, and left it about 5 inches longer. I heated the end of the hose, and forced the new PCV into it. Then I tucked it under the velocity stack, with the outlet pointing down to drain any oil that collects in the valve.

Resized_20211106_153043_01.jpeg

I 'breath tested' it, and I get a seal going into the motor, and free flow coming out. I couldn't tell any difference in operation when I rode the bike to work this morning.

I also tested the front 'original' valve. It sealed when I blew into it, and flowed freely coming out, so I didn't bother adding a valve to it.

Another plus - this approach negates the need to rotate the motor, as the stock valves remain in place, where even when the valve part fails, they act as a breather/mist scrubber.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast