Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: differences between the X and XT

differences between the X and XT

I have a 2008 XB12XT. what is the differences between the XB12X and the XB12XT. I had a 2007 XB12X but sold it, Is it just sprokets and handlebars?

The XT is more than just an accessorized Ulysses. In addition to touring options from the Buell catalog like locking hard luggage (side and top cases), a 4-inch-higher windscreen, lower seat and heated grips, the XT gets different suspension components. Fork tubes are 4mm smaller than the X model's and offer 4.92 inches of travel, almost 2 inches less than the XT's more dirt-oriented brother. The shock is similarly shorter. This suspension change along with a 1" shorter stock seat drops center of gravity. ECM mapping also slightly different than stock X mapping, though I've never looked at individual cells to confirm same.
    All XT's have cross-braced bars identical to the X....Primary gearing as well as final drive belt pulley ratios and belt length identical to X.

Sprockets?

I have a 08 XT and I think with it having less travel than the X it would not make a very confident dual purpose bike. Having less travel also lets the muffler sit a lot lower which would make it prone to get bashed by pretty much everything. I just can't see myself taking it anywhere to anything more than a very smooth graded fireroad (and if I did I would put some different tires on). Also that front fender/mudguard hugs the front wheel pretty snugly and I am pretty sure you won't want to scratch that up with rocks launched at it.

Neither one of them is a "dirt bike". If you want to ride single track and rock gardens like that, I suggest a CRF450X in the back of a pickup truck.

100% agree with this.

Yeah - get a 1203cc bike in the 'sugar sand' we have down here and things go South quickly.

I have a friend who is an EXCELLENT life long rider borrow a 1250GSA (the 'dirt' one) for a ride from LA to his parents house in New Jersey. Less than 50 miles into the trip, he decided on a dirt detour down some fire roads for fun, of course he fell over, and was completely unable to pick the bike up. This is a grown ass healthy adult BTW. Thats after taking off all the luggage of course, and it was only leaning over 45* or so on flat ground because of all the tube bar things they put on those. He ended up breaking his ankle during all that, but a Jeeper came by and helped him out. He still rode as far as Texas before he gave up because of the pain!

You know what he would have traded unnecessary 150HP shift cam malarky, and heated seats for that day? Lightness.

This isn't a smash on a specific brand, I felt the same on the last trip. 2650 miles on a Tenere 1200, never need all the HP's on the street and with the 575 claimed pounds, I would NOT have been comfortable on flat dirt

But I do feel the pendulum is swinging back to sensibility in this sector of bikes!
    Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 9.49.53 AM.png
    https://www.aprilia.com/en_EN/tuareg-660/
    412lbs and can carry MORE weight than it weighs! Huzzah!

Side ramble: I think sensibility is swinging back in the hyper sport category as well. When you need to electronically limit your 215+ HP in the first FOUR gears, it's time to admit that 180hp is still more than enough.

Sorry for the de-rail OP But Barrett the Uly whisperer has already given you the perfect info

Man, this post is getting heavy, and rightfully so. This is the main reason I won't go off road with my Triumph or the ully.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast