Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VR recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
    Jack at roadstercycles I believe guarantees it is authentic. In my experience/opinion, which is about 3 days and 300 miles, an OE VR is now a sub-standard part.
    Yep, Roadstercycles is the good stuff.

And OE R/R failing at that rate is a sign of another problem. The stock one is a pretty robust unit. Not infallible, but should last a long time. I'd recommend double checking your grounds and other connections to make sure you dont cook the new one. Maybe you got a dud... unlikely, but not impossible.

On a lot of other bikes, I'd agree the stock R/R is substandard, but the stock XB part gets the job done well. On my SV650's one of the first mods I do is replace the stock R/R with an FH012/016/020.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 11-11-2021 at 09:40 PM.

+1 internet points to that guy ^^^^^ Preach!

I have 2 Ulys: an "XP" with appears to be a stock VR, IDS ECM with D&D exhaust, and a stock "X" with an IDS for stock exhaust & Shindengen VR mounted in the scoop.
    Checked the the parasitic draw on the battery for "X" = 1.3 mAmps, "XP" = 1.65 mAmps so I think I am good there on both bikes?
    Idled both bikes & put a voltmeter on both dashes "X" is running 14.0 to 14.5 volts, "XP" is 13.9 to 14.4 volts, with everything on: heated grips on high, dual headlight mod, brake lights, and signal flashers on.
    The "X" has all stock lights and "XP" has all LED lights. "X" at idle clt =116, and the "XP" clt =143. So the VR in the scoop has no effect at idle in this test.
    Both have dual scoops and the RH is full sized on the "XP", I think the voltage would have been closer but the XP's fan was cranking alot, the "X" ran a little.
    If the XP is truly stock, the VR has 4 wires, then it did pretty darn good at idle like you guys said Cooter and 3419. Wonder if the stator is different on an XP?
    I believe "clt" is what I need for engine temp on the live data in ECMDroid and check it while I am riding, but would rather pay attention to the road.
    Can I log the temp and voltage on my phone and look at it later on my pc? I commute to work everyday 80 to 100 miles so will check clt at stop signs & red lights.
    Did notice the X VR was a lot cooler in the scoop than the XP.
    Yes I give a point to 34Nineteen as well!
    Last edited by Tbone; 11-12-2021 at 11:40 AM.

You've unintentionally become our beloved TEABAG. Know how I know? You make random false statements about Buell/H-D OEM parts that you decree as "sub-standard" with NO factual basis whatsover....then create what you deem to be a solution to a non-existent problem. Entertaining, but remains as ridiculous bull**** that potentially could lead others astray.

2003-2007 THREE PHASE XB stators produce 38AMPS @ approx. 2750RPM's
    2008-2010 SINGLE PHASE XB stators produce 30AMPS @ approx. 2750RPM's
    Yes...you read that right.
    There is NO difference between any given year XB stator/alternator across the model line. X....XT....XP....identical.
    Well over 1,000,000 XB-XL-XR charging systems in operation that say you're full of ****.

Relocating an XB voltage regulator to inside a factory air intake scoop is one of the stupidest mods I've ever seen. Ever.
    This thread should be terminated. Less-informed Board members reading this endless saga, use caution.

Hello Barrett, I do not know anyone named TEABAG? Do I need to know that person?
    I started this thread for VR recommendations and have appreciated the very helpful and great information provided by everyone on here. Hands down some of the most passionate people about their bikes for the 10+ years that I have been a member here! I am just as Fiercely Passionate, Independent, about my Buell as anyone else on here!
    Of course I would never install a VR in a factory air intake on my Buell or any other engine in any type of vehicle, that would be a very bad, un wise, and unintelligent decision. I installed my VR in an Air Scoop, NOT on air intake connected to a throttle body, intake manifold, carburetor, etc.... ! Most people here know the difference........right??
    I have only given my personal experiences on here and resulting opinions which have been wrong sometimes, I admit it when I am wrong and learn from it and move on. If this TEABAG person offended you or anyone else on here, that is NOT ME!!! I will not apologize for someone else offenses or whatever they did?

Thanks Tbone for keeping a cool head!!

I’m on my second 08 Uly. My first Uly, the VR died at 16k miles and replaced with a aftermarket and never had a problem again. On my current 08 Uly the VR died at 8.5k miles and just replaced with a aftermarket. On both, the potting material failed on the backside and let moisture in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
    I admit it when I am wrong and learn from it and move on.
    I agree with others that your chosen location to relocate isn't a good choice. Instead of defending yourself, perhaps going back to stock location, or even if you simply turned the VR 90deg.'s for proper airflow like others here have brought to your attention, then you'd truly be living up to your statement(see your above quote). It's all simple constructive criticism here. I've noticed that anybody here that even slightly resembles getting butt hurt, tends to get hammered on a bit. Sal good man.
    Last edited by TheWood; 11-13-2021 at 05:04 PM.

Thanks DamMechanic for the Props. Had the same experience with 2 VR's on my 09 Uly, as well as replaced a stator. TheWood, I am doing due diligence to make sure everything is good. The pictures do not show it well, but the VR is actually rotated about ~ 20° to follow the slope of the frame so there is plenty of air flow over the VR.

Quote Originally Posted by DamMechanic View Post
    Thanks Tbone for keeping a cool head!!

I’m on my second 08 Uly. My first Uly, the VR died at 16k miles and replaced with a aftermarket and never had a problem again. On my current 08 Uly the VR died at 8.5k miles and just replaced with a aftermarket. On both, the potting material failed on the backside and let moisture in.
    What brand / model of aftermarket VR did you go with? There are some nice ones and there is a lot of crap out there masquerading as the nice ones.

The one I got was from Dennis Kirk. Here a pick of the difference in the wiring and the mount I made. 0F479279-73B9-4AA4-ACE6-243EDA70D8B4.jpgDBC6EFC5-2363-4C91-8E04-430010606BF8.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123