Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil leak

Oil leak

Me again. I just noticed an oil stain on the engine. It's not so bad that it leaves anything on the garage floor (yet). I know engine work quite well but I've never been in one of these engines before. What is under that cover held by to two fasteners? Is that gasketed? This is the only issue on an otherwise perfectly running and shifting 07 XB9R. I'm loving this bike! It performs & handles better than I do so it has been a great tool for my ongoing motorcycle education.
    oil stain.jpg

That plate held on by 2 fasteners is called "the primary cover inspection cover". It's purpose is to allow easy checking of the primary drive chain tension and filling of the primary/trans assembly with fluid. The gasket # is---34819-03A suffix G11C.
    Available at any H-D dealer...infinite amount in dealer system, and online vendors. List is $2.79

Thanks. Got the gasket. Upon replacing, the "old" gasket looked great but there was definitely a leak. Is the gasket installed dry or should I use a gasket sealer? Any torque spec for the two fasteners? A video I found on Youtube shows O rings on the fasteners but mine have none. Just a captive flat washer. Should the O ring be there on a Buell or is that a Harley thing?

The gasket always looks great when it’s pulled so people reuse them, and they leak. So they go to the auto parts store and buy a $8 tube of gasket sealer, and some orings (because that’s how their ‘95 Sportster did it).

The gasket is good for a single use only, but I have had some luck in re-using them to a point. I also keep extras of the inspection gasket and the clutch cover gasket around, for when one or both start leaking. I just add an extra one to my parts order when I get parts from St Paul, New Castle, Scottsdale or Chandler HD.

Quote Originally Posted by ksquare View Post
    Thanks. Got the gasket. Upon replacing, the "old" gasket looked great but there was definitely a leak. Is the gasket installed dry or should I use a gasket sealer? Any torque spec for the two fasteners? A video I found on Youtube shows O rings on the fasteners but mine have none. Just a captive flat washer. Should the O ring be there on a Buell or is that a Harley thing?

NO O-rings
    NO sealer
    NO torque specs
    ONLY O-rings in close proximity are drain plug.....clutch cable
    NO idea what you're talking about re. vids and harley-thing

O-rings, vids & harley-thing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjA1URTgHP0

XL series use countersunk torx...hence the O-ring. XB never did. If you're going to self-train via youtube vids, highly advisable to choose correct model.

I self train and filter as many ways as possible. Couldn't find an applicable Buell video. Perhaps that's why I asked here...

(Sigh) John is saying to completely ignore workshop videos on Sportster XL's when you want to learn about Buell XB's.

They are not the same thing. That should be obvious. Especially now.

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 11.40.43 AM.png

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    (Sigh) John is saying to completely ignore workshop videos on Sportster XL's when you want to learn about Buell XB's.

They are not the same thing. That should be obvious. Especially now.

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 11.40.43 AM.png
    Cooter.....your sounding a bit Jaded. Like you have said this all before many many times......Perhaps beer might help?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast