Thread: Ground Locations?

Question Ground Locations?

2008 XB12XT

Has anyone posted a 'map' to where the grounds/earths are located? The wiring diagram shows five grounds. I don't think that means there are five grounding points - I think a couple of the wire grounds share a point.

I've located three. Ground #4 is under the front console, on the front of the steering neck. It is a problem spot, as one of the paired terminals commonly fails. That one causes the turn signals to quit. The fix is to remake the pair into two new terminals, and re-fasten them to the ground point. #5 might be the other pair of leads that attach at the same point.

There are two ground points on the chassis, roughly above the fuse box. Assuming a PO didn't mess things up on my bike, the rear one is #2, where the battery and rear accessory outlet ground. I'm guessing the one forward of that is #3, and maybe #1, which serve as grounds for the ECM and a host of other loads.

Can anyone verify that I'm correct?

My next quest is to determine what the blanked off plug under the left scoop is for. Three pin connector, with blanking pins. I'm guessing it is for the sidestand switch, which the Uly's don't have. I need to see what the wire colors are.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushr0d View Post
    2008 XB12XT

Has anyone posted a 'map' to where the grounds/earths are located? The wiring diagram shows five grounds. I don't think that means there are five grounding points - I think a couple of the wire grounds share a point.

I've located three. Ground #4 is under the front console, on the front of the steering neck. It is a problem spot, as one of the paired terminals commonly fails. That one causes the turn signals to quit. The fix is to remake the pair into two new terminals, and re-fasten them to the ground point. #5 might be the other pair of leads that attach at the same point.

There are two ground points on the chassis, roughly above the fuse box. Assuming a PO didn't mess things up on my bike, the rear one is #2, where the battery and rear accessory outlet ground. I'm guessing the one forward of that is #3, and maybe #1, which serve as grounds for the ECM and a host of other loads.

Can anyone verify that I'm correct?

My next quest is to determine what the blanked off plug under the left scoop is for. Three pin connector, with blanking pins. I'm guessing it is for the sidestand switch, which the Uly's don't have. I need to see what the wire colors are.
    Post a pic of the plug and its location. The only thing that rings a bell for me around there is the harness for the actuator for the exhaust valve.

It's an unused plug, but does go to the ECM. Ground/Ign/tan pin #7 grey plug (IIRC).
    I use its circuit to plug-n-play XB quick shifter sensors.

Maybe this?

1.JPG

2.JPG

As this diagram lists them, here is how I remember it from a year ago. My harness is 1/2 Ulysses and 1/2 Lightning.

GND 1,2,3 are attached to the seat rails.

When cleaning grounds, dont forget to remove the rails and clean the part where the rails meet the main frame (that is a ground connection as well). If dirt/corrosion has occurred, it will start to isolate the battery from the motor/charging system.

GND 4,5 are attached to the steering head.