Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2005 fireboltXB12R enige stops running

2005 fireboltXB12R enige stops running

new to Buells so twice last summer on hotter days 20 minutes into ride engine dies let it sit for 3/4 hr starts back up runs great finally have more time to trouble shoot going to check fuel pressure first then? thanks

Mileage? Mods? Condition? You gave almost zero info so I'll assume you tried to re-start immediately and it didn't work? Did it crank and no-start? No crank? Crank slow?
    Could you hear the fuel pump run (ignition on) before no-start?

The only sensors that can kill the engine is the Bank angle sensor, side stand switch (if you have one) or temp. Temp could do it but it would run noticeably poorly first. You'd have limited RPM and even single cylinder shut down well before the ignition kill temp. Unless theres a very rare anomaly of it reading max temp instantly. A datalog would answer that (ECMDroid).

Before you go googling a replacement sensors as a 100% guess, it's much more likely your ignition primary system is compromised. Fairly common on a 16 year old motorcycle that the connections and handlebar switches get corroded. Check fuses and relays (especially the IGN relay), sometimes just the act of wiggling to remove them and replace them is enough to help a 16 year old connection get continuity.

Wiring diagram here:
    Buellmods.com

Ya, ya. Check your grounds...
    Last edited by Cooter; 11-07-2021 at 07:10 PM.

Check for codes, if no codes.... probably the cam position sensor

Good guess, the CPS does like to fail with heat. You can test that guess with a heat gun or hairdryer in your garage.

CPS replaced problem solved It was really easy to replace. Thanks to all for advice

I thought replacing the CPS had solved the problem of engine turning off when hot, but yesterday 20 minutes into a ride the engine died checked for codes and nothing this time the fan ran for 30 sec(other times no fan)after sitting 20 minutes when turned key on red oil light stayed on.Started up and ran fine after sitting 1 hr. CPS was new from ST Paul HD.So the heat is affecting something and is ok when cools off Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by blaster70 View Post
    when turned key on red oil light stayed on. Started up and ran fine after sitting 1 hr.
    I'm seriously starting to doubt your diagnosis skills. Why wouldnt the oil light stay on if you have the key on before you start the engine?

Your oil light is on (key on, engine off), and the light shuts off when it's running!?!

That is a definite clear sign that you need to find a mechanic. Because you aren't one.

Maybe its time to read this.

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....377707!!6!4351

To wit:

NOTE
    The oil pressure indicator indicator lamp will illuminate when the ignition is turned on prior to starting engine.

OK sorry for the poor explanation, as I reread my post I see my error.So I just went out to my bike, when I start to crank the engine the oil light turns off.What was happening at the side of the street when the bike would not start was when Icranked the engine the oil light was staying on.I have a printed copy of the manual.I really like my firebolt, and would love to know why it keeps turning off and I admit my last post was not proof read

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast