Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting swingarms from early to late

Converting swingarms from early to late

So, this didnt start off as a swingarm conversion. Basically, I was trying to put a motor back together to get the methbuell running and on the road.

When I was putting another motor together, I had swapped the spray painted cam cover with a good condition one I had from a 2004 XB12. They're the same, right????

WRONG.

So, the 2004 cam cover went on the 2006 engine easily. Super easy, hardly an inconvenience. I bolted up the heads, installed the exhaust, and bolted the frame back down. I also wound up installing some of wiring harness and the oil cooler lines. No problem so far....

Well, I went to start installing the rear oil lines and ran into this....

What the deuce?

65784427834__0A9B5B46-2F2C-4249-8765-278A883C80D2.jpg

The "nut" hits the cam cover before the hose even fully engages. So, I back out the fitting a little and it still doesnt fit.

Looking closely, everything looks ok.

65784433072__E6E10CDC-0C40-4695-8A6C-A830E3F56E41.jpg

Let me look at the old cover.... AHA! M-er f-ers!

65784435967__7944FA4C-9389-4ADD-A192-719C4A63A719.jpg

So, it looks like when they changed the oil lines from running under the engine on the earlier bikes with the older swingarm, they added a little bit of material to the cam cover to space out the fitting just a little. The "flush" hole works fine when the fitting and hose point down, but when you point them u, it creates a problem. But with the other cam cover in place, no problemo amigo.

65784446903__29DC16AB-7566-407C-B171-055BA6789A6D.jpg

The frustrating part is, had I had known this little change earlier, I would have put a different cam cover on it. Now, I need to pull the exhaust, remove the frame, loosen the rocker boxes, replace the cam cover. Ugh.

Well, instead of whining about my 1st world problems on the internet. Why not take the incentive and solve my problem? Because thats not how we do things around here. Anyhow... I tried this, but it creates another problem.

IMG_0090.jpg

While the hose now fits, the other oil hose and wire harnesses dont fit back there. I was reluctant to trim away the plastic (so far). I'm trying to find a solution before grabbing the snippers.

Anyhow, the lesson learned here is that before you do a swingarm conversion, or replace a cam cover, be sure to look for that raised portion of the cover. It seems like the revised cover with the raised section will work in either setup, but the flush one only works with the early hose setup. I have the solution in my hands, but the lazy portion of me is going to find a workaround. But for now, I'm getting a beer.

Dammit! Who drank all the beer in my fridge?

and lastly, for the love of doG, please dont spray paint your bike.
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 11-08-2021 at 06:44 PM.

So, I was spray painting my bike today... and realized I need to replace the little .02$ copper washer on the lower bolt of the water pump thats leaking on the 1190. Ya, the new water pump I just put on when I just had the engine out.
    To get to the bolt I need to remove the rear head pipe. Which means the engine gets REMOVED FROM THE FRAME.
    AGAIN.
    Should it have a slip joint on that pipe to stop this nonsense? YES!
    Does it? NO!
    Can I just put it on the lift and do it today? NO!

Can I buy a rear headpipe from Alan at APH for the EBR that has the slip joint in it? Yes. For about EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS to my door

At least I stole some beer from someones garage to drink.
    Motorcycles are fun, ain't they?

Oh yeah, I don't see any beer ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    So, I was spray painting my bike today... and realized I need to replace the little .02$ copper washer on the lower bolt of the water pump thats leaking on the 1190. Ya, the new water pump I just put on when I just had the engine out.
    To get to the bolt I need to remove the rear head pipe. Which means the engine gets REMOVED FROM THE FRAME.
    AGAIN.
    Should it have a slip joint on that pipe to stop this nonsense? YES!
    Does it? NO!
    Can I just put it on the lift and do it today? NO!

Can I buy a rear headpipe from Alan at APH for the EBR that has the slip joint in it? Yes. For about EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS to my door

At least I stole some beer from someones garage to drink.
    Motorcycles are fun, ain't they?

Y U Jackin mah thread bruh? Damn crab people!

Sorry buddy thought it was a whiney mechanic thread so I jumped on the train. I'd delete it but you quoted it so....

LOL, guess I owe ya a beer

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Sorry buddy thought it was a whiney mechanic thread
    Nailed it!

Actually it was more of a cautionary tale with a side of whininess. But that’s kind of the MO lately around here. Spend more time bitching about it online than it would actually take to get it done.

Well the timing gear broke on my 67 C10 with a 230 6cyl I took it apart got the parts …

And …….

Well I guess I have been busy it’s been over a year. Glad to see you’re frustrated cause you’re getting it done.
    Thanks for noting the details you probably saved me some frustration in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by cvc View Post
    Well the timing gear broke on my 67 C10 with a 230 6cyl I took it apart got the parts …

And …….

Well I guess I have been busy it’s been over a year. Glad to see you’re frustrated cause you’re getting it done.
    Thanks for noting the details you probably saved me some frustration in the future.
    Sounds like you're getting it done. In addition to the hard work of getting a XB front mount sorted out.

Look at the fitting I found this weekend. I have no idea what it is. CoOter says its a bulkhead fitting, and the threads should be NPT.

The bottom fitting is the original one, the middle is the weird one, the top is the same as the bottom fitting but with the brass extension portion on it. Seems like I have a solution!

fitting.jpg

CoOter said I needed an oring in the inverted flare side to help seal it. He is such a jerk!

IMG_0123.jpgIMG_0124.jpg

Last edited by 34nineteen; 11-15-2021 at 04:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast