Thread: exhaust

exhaust

Can anyone point me in the direction of a how-to on exhaust pipes? The previous owner of my 05 Blast replaced the factory exhaust with a pipe and a barebones dirtbike muffler. I am not a load pipes guy, I have noticed a couple of things and wanted some direction on places to look for advice. How it is set up now the main pipe has one screw holding it in place towards the front of the engine (Using the stock mounting location) that screw is just drilled through the pipe. The muffler itself has a 1/8" gap connecting to the pipe and is itself only bolted on it. Any direction would be really appreciated.

Put a stock exhaust back on it. There are books covering the complete assembly, disassembly, repair, maintenance, troubleshooting and upkeep of the entire bike (including the exhaust system). All parts, techniques and procedures have been authorized by the creators of the motorcycle to be the official instructions.

If you’re going to outdo the Buell engineers and want to do it on your own, I highly recommend checking out the curriculum at your local community college or enrolling in a motorcycle oriented vocational school such as MMI. However the factory exhaust was designed with the best compromise of low noise with maximum power, lifespan and reasonable cost.

Do you have a picture of the mess on the bike? I have a muffler from a blast in great shape just the front pipe was cut above the weld to the muffler and was used to make a nice LOUD stepped system. I could fab a new connection to the pipe you have if I knew what it was.

If you want quiet, you gotta go stock. Anything aftermarket is going to be a bit loud.

If you insist on DIY, a 3-4" Supertrapp muffler (w/ 18+ discs) and a Jardine header should all bolt together. You may call Jardine directly to get the header pipe alone without the muffler.

Beyond that, you're looking at either pretty loud or requires welding.

Isnt there a Sportster head pipe that fits the Blast?

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Isnt there a Sportster head pipe that fits the Blast?
    They're generally larger-than-ideal diameter.

If you go 1.75"Ø, then you're seriously sacrificing low-end performance, which you're already hurting by putting on a straight-thru muffler.
    If you stay at 1.5"Ø, you're not getting the best flow at the very upper revs.

I build mine with 1.625"Ø pipe for an in-between and it feels good on my butt dyno. There's absolutely zero engineering behind it other than being 29" length determined through exhaust pulse calculators for engine and cam specs.

I use this, more than enough pipe and bends for one header:
    https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Combo...-8-,11297.html
    Last edited by jetlee; 11-17-2021 at 03:51 PM.

I have had a bit of a busy week sorry I haven't been able to get on here and respond. Ideally, I want to go back to OEM Exhaust. More than anything just because it is all black and quite hidden. Here are some pics of the current setup. I work two jobs and tips from my second job are paying for the Buell's fixes/upgrades. A busted belt ate up last week and a new speed sensor is going to eat up this week. Hopefully, next week after I can get on eBay and find a stock exhaust. Thanks again for all the responses.Buell Exhaust ALL.jpg
    Last edited by Nekowrites; 11-19-2021 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Picture didn't post

Looks like you have the stock head pipe intact on the bike (take a pic where the pipe attaches to the head) if so I said I have a stock muffler with the front pipe cut off.
    And I can make a slip connection to mount it.

Or just go look on ebay