Thread: New Problem?

Hybrid View

New Problem?

Went for a ride the other night and when I started up the XT to go home the idle was about 2200 at first which seemed much higher than normal for a cold start but at 38 degrees and the bike sitting five hours it didn’t alarm me. Then while locking the shop up and putting on my gear the idler dropped to 1100 normal then like it would stall then surge back to 2k the normal.
    Side note still coughing off idle when at operating temperature got better with cleaning + grounds but not solved. I was told that X XT do that and the source has had several but didn’t experience the same on SS or other Lightning models. No codes and ran fine home.
    Any similar experience
    As soon as I get time I am installing the rest of a comfort kit and O2 sensor. The sensor as preventative maintenance at 22k.

NO mention of model year. XT first appeared for model year 2008. Completely different idling/cold start system than prior years.

1-A failing clutch interlock switch...neutral safety switch...clutch cable sourcing independent ground....will all cause inconsistently higher cold and warm curb idle speed along with erratic speed.
    2-Faulty IAC valve. Does NOT always store fault code
    3-Dirty and crud-filled TB shaft...TB bore...TB air blade. Check all
    4-IAC pintle port in need of cleaning

Oops it’s an 08. Was really odd I guess I will order some intake gaskets. I have a spare intake so I’ll sweep the TPS on the bench clean everything and try that as well as ohm everything in the clutch circuit.

I'm guessing Barrett's #3. The butterfly might be sticking, and the cold makes it worse. Give the throttle bore and butterfly a good cleaning, and do what you can to clan the butterfly shaft on both sides.

As far as gaskets, try everything else first. You stand a good to better chance of making the problem worse when you start taking things apart.