Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rocker box gasket service

His first post said rear rocker is leaking. Honestly, it depends on your room and how quickly you want to ride. I had high hopes of replacing all sorts of stuff, but I was working in a carport with limited hours, so I opted to just rotate and replace what was leaking, nothing more. Rotation isn't that difficult, space is pretty tight, but PCV was by far easiest part of the process. Just my 0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by RidetheLightning View Post
    His first post said rear rocker is leaking. Honestly, it depends on your room and how quickly you want to ride. I had high hopes of replacing all sorts of stuff, but I was working in a carport with limited hours, so I opted to just rotate and replace what was leaking, nothing more. Rotation isn't that difficult, space is pretty tight, but PCV was by far easiest part of the process. Just my 0.02.

I think you would likely agree that determing whether its really the rocker box gasket or the PCV grommet is going to be paramount to whether the job takes 15 minutes or 6 hours.

How much time do you think you had into your rotate? 3 hours each way?

It sounds like a rotation will do it, I will see. I'm going in to replace all of the top end gaskets and seals, including the PCV grommet and the rocker box seal. I was also thinking about replacing the intake seals, but I can't figure out what parts I actually need for that job.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    I think you would likely agree that determing whether its really the rocker box gasket or the PCV grommet is going to be paramount to whether the job takes 15 minutes or 6 hours.

How much time do you think you had into your rotate? 3 hours each way?
    probably 3-4 hours, going verrry slowly, to rotate down. More like 1-2 to get it back together. And yes, PCV would be an extremely quick job.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic View Post
    It sounds like a rotation will do it, I will see. I'm going in to replace all of the top end gaskets and seals, including the PCV grommet and the rocker box seal. I was also thinking about replacing the intake seals, but I can't figure out what parts I actually need for that job.
    Not trying to be a jerk here, but the part for the intake seal is the intake seal(s). If you google buellxb intake seal you will find all sorts of info. Some people swear by the james intake seals with the lip, others say those are too much of a pain to get to fit right and to just use OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by RidetheLightning View Post
    Not trying to be a jerk here, but the part for the intake seal is the intake seal(s). If you google buellxb intake seal you will find all sorts of info. Some people swear by the james intake seals with the lip, others say those are too much of a pain to get to fit right and to just use OEM.
    LOL I think where I became confused was when I started looking at the James catalog comparing it to the St. Paul HD online catalog. Wasn't clear if there was a variation between years of the engines (2003-2007 vs 2008-2010) and then I also discovered that I might need a special tool for installation. I basically realized that it was a bit more of a PITA than I was hoping for... and gave up.

I finally got the bastard rotated down using a combination of engine hoist with straps, transmission jack adapter on a floor jack and the Pitbull rear stand. Unfortunately, my throttle cables are damaged - the metal housing is completely worn down exposing the inner cable. I think the correct part for my '08 XB12Ss is N0307.5AC and N0308.5AC, but I don't see any of those in stock anywhere. I do see that St. Paul's HD has N0308.5AA and N0307.5AA, but they are supposedly for the XB12R?
    IMG_0112.jpg
    Last edited by Mesozoic; 12-30-2021 at 01:38 AM.

I have some brand new ones still sealed in the HD bag, let me see what number they are.

Nothing special or specific about a Ss cable set.

N0307.5AC is the puller cable for all S models---stock bars---excess of 25 still in system.
    N0308.5AC is pusher/return cable---clean/lube/re-use if possible as nothing more than a bull**** safety cable.

AA series for Firebolt only.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    Nothing special or specific about a Ss cable set.

N0307.5AC is the puller cable for all S models---stock bars---excess of 25 still in system.
    N0308.5AC is pusher/return cable---clean/lube/re-use if possible as nothing more than a bull**** safety cable.

AA series for Firebolt only.
    Thanks for confirming. The pusher/return cable is completely destroyed for some reason. This is the 1st engine rotation I've ever done myself (I think), but I've had the HD dealership perform several warranty repairs back in the day. The only place I'm seeing stock for the cables is on Twin Motorcycles out of the Netherlands. I'm happy to order from there, but was thinking it might be more expeditious to find parts in the USA.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast