Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need shifter shaft.

Need shifter shaft.

Just like it says. Need a shifter shaft hit me up with cost and shipping. I’ll PayPal you.
    BB3694A4-847B-4A92-A9E0-35B98D3A832D.jpg

Heat/bend?

If you can't do that, some last generation Sportster ones are the same, and much cheaper.

Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 11.51.13 AM.png

Edit: here's one for $45
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/29461529305...gAAOSwSllheBoy

because $180 for a used shift shaft is just stupid:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/13394629907...oAAOSwXjFhoRE8
    Last edited by Cooter; 12-26-2021 at 06:59 PM.

Looking for a used reasonable price one. I can buy one from Harley for $60. Thing that makes me mad is I threw 7-8 of them away.

What year is it for? They made 2 different ones.

The early one (until about 2005) had the splines and the shaft almost the same size (NLA $$$$$). The later model has the shaft slightly larger than the splined area, probably to prevent the seal from being damaged by the splines (~$60). You can use the early one on a later motor and vice versa, as long as you change the primary cover to match.

2.JPG
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 12-27-2021 at 02:35 PM.

You can get it for $60 new?? Instead of $45 used... Do that! Seems plenty reasonable to me.
    If thats too much $$ for ya, heat/bend is free if you have a vise and a torch. It needs to be straight enough to seal, It's not a part meant for the James Webb Space Telescope.

You "threw 7-8 of them away."!?! What are you doing that you have so many broken motor parts around?? Why toss such a common victim of a left side drop? More questions than answers...

I’m starting to show my age.
    Cooter $45 plus $11 equals $56 plus $5 in tax so my total is……? More then what I would pay new. Harley is free shipping and I also have a resale lic so there is no tax.

And yes I can heat it and bend it but then I have to worry about miss shifts extra strain on a trash transmission that is notorious for cooking shift forks. So, I would like to do it right and money is not a issue.

And to answer your burning questions… which I have told you plenty of times before over the last 15 years I’ve parted out more Buells then I can count.

Over time I have started to throw parts away that I have no use for just because they usually don’t break or have no real value. The shift fork lever usually is not a issue the springs or arms are. So, a couple years back I tossed all except 1 and how luck is, when I got hit on my scg mine was toast so I used my spare.

The Buell I’m working on now was owned by a shade tree mechanic that bent it removing the clutch basket and they just put it back together so when the primary was bolted down it messed up the brass bushing and made it hard shift or stick up or down which can wear the dogs or shift forks over time.

So agian I was hoping someone had a toasted motor that they parted out and had one that I could pick up for like $30 shipped.

I’m also aware of the differences between the 03-07 and the 08-09 and the sportser non trapdoor options.

Not really having a long winded conversations about a part that I need to just put the bike back together and move on.

Then I guess you have your options all figured out.

Ok, don’t tell me which one you need. Maybe you’ll be able to tell by the sound they make when they hit the wall of my dumpster. Hopefully in less than 10 paragraphs. Sheesh.

8A44367D-73D8-46F1-B9C0-1770DCD87E76.jpeg

You didn't miss anything 34:19, he never said what Blast, Tuber, or Uly he's working on out of the "too many to count" lol. But thats great info you have! Thanks! That explains the different seal numbers.

Squid: Sorry you bent it, that sucks. Can't say I've been there, always had the right tool for that, I've even made my own! But buying the right tool is worth it, now ya know. 240-260Ft/lbs (new spec) ain't no joke!

I'd still follow my own advise (unsurprisingly):
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    You can get it for $60 new??
    []... Do that!

Thanks 3419….

Your package showed up yesterday and the war department threw the bomb sniffing dogs on it because it had a address but no name….

You still need to let me know what I owe you….

And it worked fine. I just changed the primary bushing and seal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast