Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Resurrecting a Red Lobster

Not worried about too hot. Just the opposite. I've never had a water-cooled bike where the fan came on lower than 225 degrees Fahrenheit.

Nice! IMG_5264.jpg

1125's tend to run hotter than most bikes out there. I think some of it comes from the cooling air management setup, which was changed on the 1190.

Also, most people don't know (or care) how to access the radiators on these, so that often gets overlooked. Both of my 1125's had coolant that looked like it was the factory fill and was long past its prime.

If Chaz was working on your bike, I'm sure he made sure the coolant was sorted out. He's awesome.

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 8.33.52 AM.png

The story goes that the HD brass, well known to be the form-over-function types, didn't want to see radiators So the air flow was designed to be directed from the outside, through the radiators, to get hot, and then toward the engine, and out the back. When Erik was let loose to design the 1190 for his own company, he reversed that first thing to take air from the hot engine and out the sides, away from the hot thing thats trying to get cooled. Derr.

Your thick seat and thick Tech Spec grip pads will provide some comfort to your thigh but I concur with Mr. Sanford, to not worry about the fans. Ya they're loud, but they are there to maintain a temperature range. It's not a sign of over heating, it's a sign that it's operating normally.

Sure, service the cooling system, check both fans are running, and ride it. You can mess with the fan on/off temps with tuning software, but IMO, it just makes them run, and wear, and be loud more often. My bike still ran the same temp no matter the settings. In fact, the only things I did that affected running temp was:

1) Being very particular about the oil weight during extreme heat/hard use. Suggested by an 'EBR insider' , track days in the summer got straight 60w. The valve train noise got much, much, quieter and running temps went down. It seemed extreme at the time but it still drained like thin water when hot so I kept doing it.

2) I also tried a non-engineers suggestion (to some contention on this board LOL), by adding a very small amount of 2-stroke oil to the gas. 1- 1.5oz to a tankful made the fuel pump noticeably quieter and coolant temp vs ambient went down again! It worked consistently and A-B tested as many times as I could.

I wound up running Water Wetter in mine to help manage the heat. My $0.02 non-engineering hunch is that the radiators may be as small as they can be to just keep the engine coolant temp under control. But, if you keep everything maintained, you should be OK, even if a little warm. You'll probably still boil the fuel on a hot day, which I consider as par for the course with 1125 ownership. Just make sure to not put it away with a full tank of fuel and you shouldn't have problems with gas leaking out of the vent.

Other than that, have fun. These bikes are amazing, even if the jury is still out on the looks (at least its not a Super Touring).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234