Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Resurrecting a Red Lobster

Resurrecting a Red Lobster

I have a soft spot for the Lobsters. I used one mercilessly as a daily and a track day steed for a few years and I still find them to be super super fun for a shorter track.

I was forwarded the Ad by a friend (and a terrible influence) that "needs an O2 sensor to run perfectly" and couldn't resist the temptation. It wouldn't start of course, but did turn over a little and the price was worth taking the chance.

Excited by the prospect of a new ride, I couldn't wait to get her rippin' !
    Oil change... wait, WTF!?

Ya, so theres that. I haven't lost hope yet! but it sure is time to diagnose further.
    Lots of new parts, Hmmm. New updated stator... hmmm.
    So, the "professionals" paid to do a job on a motorcycle, replace the stator, and don't even see that the cam chain guide disintegrated 10 THOUSAND miles ago and has been eating away at the case, filling every nook and every cranny with powdered aluminum.

Last edited by Cooter; 01-02-2022 at 05:10 PM.

Decision time.
    I scoped the cylinders and the internals all still look really nice, considering, and why not keep it on the cheap? I spent a whopping $45 for a low-mile case:

and plan on working the solvent tank overtime.

Got distracted by work and fun stuff for MONTHS and she still sits, in pieces, mocking me

The same terrible influence of a friend did find me a complete engine though! It was cheap enough it made the time and effort of replacing just the case not worth it but maybe as a power plant for something silly later? I'm picturing a 146hp V-twin powered Big Wheel.... but I digress.

So this:

To this:

Move the stuff over from here:

To here. It's a nice engine, did a valve adjust while it was out but them meth heads like to pull EVERY thing off, so it took me damn near 1/2 a day just swapping little brackets, and clips, and covers, and fittings.

and get married!:

Thats where she sits today while I'm packing for another 2 weeks out of town Hopefully she's running by summer. lol?
    What should I do when I'm done? Track bike? Daily? Flip it?
    Last edited by Cooter; 01-02-2022 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Got distracted by work and fun stuff for MONTHS and she still sits, in pieces, mocking me

The same terrible influence of a friend did find me a complete engine though! It was cheap enough it made the time and effort of replacing just the case not worth it but maybe as a power plant for something silly later? I'm picturing a 146hp V-twin powered Big Wheel.... but I digress.

So this:

To this:

Move the stuff over from here:

To here. It's a nice engine, did a valve adjust while it was out but them meth heads like to pull EVERY thing off, so it took me damn near 1/2 a day just swapping little brackets, and clips, and covers, and fittings.

and get married!:

Thats where she sits today while I'm packing for another 2 weeks out of town Hopefully she's running by summer. lol?
    What should I do when I'm done? Track bike? Daily? Flip it?

What a piece of junk. Erik Buell really got screwed. This bike just doesnt have that V-twin soul.

YOU are the dog in the first pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    YOU are the dog in the first pic.
    Listen here Frank the Tank, I'd rather be the dog than the bush.

Speaking of such, since I'm stalking everyone online these days, its time to out you! El Segundo my arse!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/22...4d-118.1270347

I just realized, you need to be calling the red lobster, the red dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    I just realized, you need to be calling the red lobster, the red dragon.
    I certainly will from now on!

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    What a piece of junk. Erik Buell really got screwed. This bike just doesnt have that V-twin soul.
    You really don't like them? I've been riding my '09 CR daily since my XB12 is still undergoing surgery. It's reminiscent of a Honda Superhawk, but with a lot more power and it handles great. I have a particularly loud APH Engineering pipe on mine and I don't mind it one bit. While the look has grown on me, I definitely consider my XB12 to be far more attractive.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast