Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Resurrecting a Red Lobster

I'm mocking some knucklehead who was on here some time last year. I like 1125's for all of their pros and cons, but in the long run, they just weren't the right bike for me.

The right bike for me is probably an SV650, but dont tell my ego that.

Plus its always fun to heckle CoOter.

Gotcha. LOL

I’m very much looking forward to getting back on my XB, for sure.

Meso we have similar garages!

VERY different than an XB, glad to know them side by side but it's like going from a Monster to a Panigale, sure they both say Ducati on the tank, but... ya I'd daily the Monster first.

They need more attention, in every sense(TM).

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Meso we have similar garages!

VERY different than an XB, glad to know them side by side but it's like going from a Monster to a Panigale, sure they both say Ducati on the tank, but... ya I'd daily the Monster first.

They need more attention, in every sense(TM).
    Yep, agreed on the difference between the XB and the Rotax. I have the XB12Ss and find it's a bit more relaxed for touring - I do love them both, though. The suspension on the CR seems a bit more designed for track use or something, although both suspension setups are good. After tuning the XB it's definitely closed the performance gap a bit between the two, but CR has definitely got an advantage. I recently had to deal with the valve adjustment on the CR and that wasn't fun. However, I still love it. It'll be interesting to see what the new Buell Motorcycle Co. produces - I'm going to wait a bit and see where it goes, but have my sights on something from there perhaps if it falls within my budget in the future.

We might have similar garages... I built mine during the peak of COVID (mid-late '20) as an extension to my existing garage. Fully insulated it, air-conditioned, heated, hydraulic lift, proper lighting for work. Enjoying it so far!

Success! The Red Dragon lives!
    Pics to come.
    TBH, I stole a couple parts off the EBR to make it happen (right drain plug and oil sender) but Chaz will have my other inner clutch cover back to me soon enough and I'm busy converting the EBR back to street duty anyway. My track days will be full of Ninja 400 for the year so might as well stock the EBR out for Saturday runs up ACH
    The Dragon smoked a bit for a little too long and I got worried, but the rings seated in fine and the valve train is much quieter than most of them are. Even the battery took a charge and holds it fine! I had to re-route the hydraulic clutch line and made extra sure the wiring was factory routed. A quick test ride showed how warped the front rotor is and the front tire is ****, otherwise a super big win!
    I spent a few hours today swapping the front tire to a Dunlop Q4, checking the bearings, servicing the brake hardware, and putting on a good rotor I had on the front, then rebuilding the rear caliper and frozen MC, and flushing the BLACK clutch fluid. I twisted the suspension screws back to factory for my weight and took it for a true maiden voyage

I totally forgot how fast these 1125's are

The CR cheats a bit with the big rear pulley but Holy Hell its a ripper! Race ECM and a stock pipe are the way to stealthy good times. Unintentional wheelies are a good time, no matter who ya are I'm so stoked this worked out. It's actually a really nice bike (now) and even has some special parts like factory heated grips and such. Got a few little things to check like making sure the steering head bearings are lubed, but really... so much for flipping it, I might hang on to the Red Dragon for a bit

The Methheads that we sourced the engine from had a grand time stripping so many things off, that my dream of having a running extra V-twin are dashed Anyone need parts?

Does the rotor for the stator have the oil cooling mod done to it? My bike is still rocking the Harley harness fix.

I enjoy my “black scorpion”, your “red dragon “ is a nice score/fix! Is it just me but are ALL previous Buell owners abusive riders that don’t stay up on basic maintenance? These things aren’t Honyamaukis! I spent the most time bringing an XB12R from the dead fixing snapped bolts.

My CR complaints: clubman bars hurt my bones and it’s too damn fast for this old ass.

The legend lives.

Quote Originally Posted by pdksh View Post

My CR complaints: clubman bars hurt my bones and it’s too damn fast for this old ass.
    They're not getting any cheaper.

https://st-paul-harley-davidson-buel...-kit-n2002-1at

Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic View Post
    Does the rotor for the stator have the oil cooling mod done to it? My bike is still rocking the Harley harness fix.
    I think maybe? I know for sure the stator and rotor got replaced and never ran while the 'mechanic' was 'diagnosing' it. I'll go look.

Quote Originally Posted by pdksh View Post
    Is it just me but are ALL previous Buell owners abusive riders that don’t stay up on basic maintenance?

My CR complaints: clubman bars hurt my bones
    I believe the problem is that Buells don't really take any maintenance. Easy to forget the small stuff if it's not at the dealer every 6K for a valve service. And we're cheap.

Clubmans are the best looking but tragically, painfully, HORRIBLY shaped bars ever.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    I have a set of highbars like that I got after I sold some Clubmans for $60

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast