Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Throttle Cable damage

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    The longer this cable banter continues and responses mount...the more muddied and confusing all this will become for board members who are actually curious about the correct throttle cable part numbers and availability thru the dealer system.

Your original inquiry requested cable info for the 2008 AND LATER XB-S model as based on provided pic of your model. THOSE are the part numbers I provided for you. Any other part numbers now being tossed around are both confusing and worthless. God Almighty.

REPEATING SAME AS FOLLOWS---APPLICATION IS ALL LIGHTNING MODELS--LONG FRAMES AND Tt USE SAME.
    2008-2010 XB ALL LIGHTNING THROTTLE PULLER CABLE---N0307.5AC----STILL AVAILABLE VIA DEALER SYSTEM
    2008-2010 XB ALL LIGHTNING THROTTLE PUSHER CABLE--N0308.5AC----STILL AVAILABLE THRU DEALER SYSTEM

2003-2007 XB ALL LIGHTNING THROTTLE PULLER CABLE---N0307.1ADA--STILL AVAILABLE THRU DEALER SYSTEM
    2003-2007 XB ALL LIGHTNING THROTTLE PUSHER CABLE--N0308.1ADA---STILL AVAILABLE THRU DEALER SYSTEM
    Barrett, how does one go about procuring one of the 2008-2010 cable sets? Does it require going on-site into a Harley-Davidson dealership? I do not see anything online via the Surdyke, St. Paul's H-D, nor Newcastle H-D.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic View Post
    Barrett, how does one go about procuring one of the 2008-2010 cable sets? Does it require going on-site into a Harley-Davidson dealership? I do not see anything online via the Surdyke, St. Paul's H-D, nor Newcastle H-D.
    If they are available in the dealer system, any Harley dealer should be able to order it. Just tell them you want to order a part, GIVE THEM THE PART NUMBER, ASSURE THEM THAT YOURE NOT GOING TO RETURN IT, and as long as its available from HD or VPI, they should order it for you. You dont have to even mention the word "Buell".

Its probably a Harley part anyway.

I didn't have time to call today, but I'll call the local H-D tomorrow and let you know what I find! Thanks!

I called Tucson H-D today, who has been fairly amicable in the past because a couple of the parts guys there are Buell riders. Unfortunately, those throttle cables are now obsolete - no longer in production and not available anymore.

So where does this leave me? Wait for cables from Twin Motorcycles? Probably... but I'm now looking, perhaps naively, possibly repairing the cable assembly or fabricating a new one?

I called Tucson H-D today, who has been fairly amicable in the past because a couple of the parts guys there are Buell riders. Unfortunately, those throttle cables are now obsolete - no longer in production and not available anymore.

So where does this leave me? Wait for cables from Twin Motorcycles? Probably... but I'm now looking, perhaps naively, possibly repairing the cable assembly or fabricating a new one?

those throttle cables are now obsolete
    wrong

no longer in production
    correct

not available anymore
    wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    those throttle cables are now obsolete
    wrong

no longer in production
    correct

not available anymore
    wrong
    That is what the Harley-Davidson dealership said apologetically after escalating to the parts manager.

That is what the Harley-Davidson dealership said apologetically after escalating to the parts manager.

Guess its time to part it out.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Guess its time to part it out.
    You make fun of my fab skills (cuz they genuinely are dubious), but I may be able to fab a new throttle cable or reuse the usable portion of the busted one and fab just broken 90 degree bend. Might have to recrimp a ferrule or something, but it may be doable. I've restored so many old Mustangs from the 60s I'm fairly well versed in this game. Twin Motorcycles might come through, though.

You make fun of my fab skills (cuz they genuinely are dubious), but I may be able to fab a new throttle cable or reuse the usable portion of the busted one and fab just broken 90 degree bend. Might have to recrimp a ferrule or something, but it may be doable. I've restored so many old Mustangs from the 60s I'm fairly well versed in this game.
    Great! I'm not doubting your cable making skills. Go for it. I've made hundreds of cables for bicycles over the years, so I completely understand where you are coming from.

Twin Motorcycles might come through, though.

I thought you were going to make your own cables? You could make the cables for a fraction of the cost, and in less time than it will take Twin to process the order, get it packaged, and have the carrier pick it up. They're just cables after all, and this isnt going to be a concours level restoration, is it?

Last edited by 34nineteen; 01-12-2022 at 07:10 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast