Thread: 2010 Buell XB12Scg Misfire

2010 Buell XB12Scg Misfire

Hi Everyone,

My 2010 Buell XB12Scg has a misfire, as indicated in this video (don't mind quality, was a quick upload):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DXi...nnel=331GTnvan

ECMSpy shows there are no codes.

I can actuate both injectors and both coils through the diagnostics in ECMSpy.

I am about to investigate which cylinder I believe is not firing, and will update with my findings.

It appears both cylinders are getting fuel, as you can see in the video from the massive exhaust backfires (I imagine the fuel is not being ignited and is being dumped out the exhaust).

Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated.

-Alex

Thanks for the short video. How about a smidge of info

Miles? Mods? Done any mods or repairs lately? Sat for a long time? What have you done to diagnose the problem besides plugging in the magic box that told you nothing?

You'll need to do the simplest of basic checks to narrow down whats causing it. An engine needs fuel, air, and a timed spark, to run. Have you checked any of those?

Does it run well otherwise or just idle like that? When did that start?

Is it getting air? Did a mouse build a house in your airbox?

Is it getting fuel? Whats your current AFV? Fuel pressure?

Is it getting timed spark? Plugs/plug wires/coil/ECM/CPS, ignition wiring?

Your answer....

can only be...

as good as...

your question.

Last edited by Cooter; 01-22-2022 at 09:34 PM.

Sir: You have a dead cylinder and unless something's askew that you didn't mention...most likely ignition. A simple crayon or stick of tire chalk placed on the header of each cylinder will confirm which isn't combusting. The good cylinder will instantly begin to melt the crayon or chalk. After confirming which cylinder is dead, simply remove the spark plug for said cylinder and visually check if it is fuel-soaked or dry. That will confirm the compression and fuel situation for said cylinder.

1-Ohm each plug wire and visually check for damage...tear...break...crack...corrosion on either end...torn spark plug bootie.
    2-Replace both plugs with NGK DCPR8EIX. A 9 is one heat range COLDER so most prefer the 8's.

Report back with findings. Won't help me but helps other board members.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you very much for the items to check. As it turns out, the spark plugs were fouled. I replaced them with brand new ones, and it runs like a top!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsG6...nnel=331GTnvan

You're welcome